Stolen and then burnt out

I saw this a few days ago, but hadn't realised it was Micra powered, took three years hard work to build. Words fail me about the mentality of those who did such a thing.

tax exempt beast,no shortage of clowns round here and their numbers wont be reduced anytime soon as it does keep taxes up up and awaaaaaaaaaaay

No words can describe how I feel about these people, and how sorry I am for the owners loss.

Little s**t's should be burnt alive

Absolute dickheads for doing it but i kinda also want to contact the owner to find out how the conversion went for him etc as hes managed to keep a brake servo and stuff... I think il leave it a while >_<

tax exempt beast,no shortage of clowns round here and their numbers wont be reduced anytime soon as it does keep taxes up up and awaaaaaaaaaaay

Tax exempt? I know they've started rolling it again (maybe) but there's a while before 1992 cars become exempt.

Keeping the servo on a Mini is just a waste of effort and un-necessary complication. Bog standard Mini disc brakes from '85 ish on are not heavy and will lock the front wheels even for the weediest driver I never understand why people go daft about "upgrading" the brakes on Minis beyond the twin circuit non-servo 8.5" discs. If you really do drive hard enough to make them fade (and I only ever managed it on cheap rubish pads) then Metro Turbo stuff will eliminate the problem. About the only reason I can see is to keep the insurers happy if it was originally fitted with a servo by Rover and they get twitchy about it being removed.

I ran my last Mini on 7.5" discs with no problems until the day I sold it and it was running a 1380 with in excess of 100bhp and was driven hard.

Iain

I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to it. I once ran with the servo not working and i honestly thought someone had cut my brake lines! Took me alot longer to stop but i dont have hench legs.. maybe once i get used to it il be fine. Mine has one currently but im thinking of swapping insurers for this project.

you can mount a remote servo anywhere you want niki

!BcIishw!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-DIEqtC+i7rVBKzLwsCwz!~~_12.JPG

I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to it. I once ran with the servo not working and i honestly thought someone had cut my brake lines! Took me alot longer to stop but i dont have hench legs.. maybe once i get used to it il be fine. Mine has one currently but im thinking of swapping insurers for this project.

There's a big difference between a car with a fitted but malfunctioning servo and a car designed without a servo, normal non-servo Mini's are nothing like what you experienced. You do get used to having a servo though, along with power-steering.

As 1275 says that'll be because your master cylinder is sized to have the assistance and you would be fine with a proper non-servo master cylinder.

The problem with that remote servo is that it's for a single line system - which means more complication if you want to install it on a dual line system. If you re-plumb the car to run a single line system to run it and then something does happen to the brakes chances are you will then lose everything but the handbrake. They were fitted to rally Minis early on but I suspect that was more down to the 7" discs on the very early "hot" cars that were actually worse than the standard drum setup.

In my GTM I used to run a Cooper S single line master with Metro Turbo 4-pots up front on their vented 8.4" discs and MGF rear calipers at the rear clamping onto standard solid Mini 8.4" front discs. No bias device whatsoever. A good shove of the middle pedal would lock the front wheels and a really good shove on the pedal would lock all 4 wheels on dry tarmac. There are guys who have managed to get 9" discs on these things with fancy 4-pot calipers - WHY? Once you can overcome the grip of the tyres any more braking becomes irrelevant and just means you are more likely to lock wheels and lose control in a hasty or panic application of the pedal. In the rebuild where it's got the CG13 it's also gained a bias bar pedal box due to changes in the chassis - if I can get the brakes the same as they were then I'll be a happy camper.

Check with the insurers and rather than telling them you have removed a servo tell them you are running the braking system from a late 1275GT. It means exactly the same thing so all legal and above board but to their ears will sound like upgraded brakes rather than downgraded. In reality I've never noticed a difference other than the extra complication and cost of the servo system.

Iain

I ditched the valve on the bulkhead too. I always struggled at MOT time to get them to pass the rear brakes, the valve was stuck in a position that limited the pressure to the rear brakes.

The exact workings of this valve divide opinion, it is supposed to help if one braking circuit fails, given mine seemed stuck I'm fairly sure it wouldn't have helped me.

Keith Calver always recommended removing it, and fitting a reducing valve on the rear circuit. my car seemed fine without a pressure reducing valve fitted.

http://www.minispares.com/article/T...plit-brake-systems-and-adjustable-bias-valves

Back