steering wheels, steering column's etc...

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
yo!

atm. ive got a quite undersized steering wheel and a non tilt adjust steering column. seats have been modded, slamed low as possible and cant go any futher back.

problem being...

Mr. popo say's pretty much from now on no after market steering wheels (even tho thats bull and the higher authority isnt teaching there cop's the right rules, blah blah blah). and i cant put a bigger steering wheel in the car unless i want to steer with my legs from now on.

anyway looking into steering wheels... what do you guys run? ive looked into ADR approved wheels like momo and theres really not much to pic from with "padded centers" but its of my understanding as long as the steering wheel is ADR tested it shouldnt matter or not if the center isnt padded as the material will give way (fail) as the manufacturers was designed to do, go into plastic deformation and crumple etc..

then i was thinking... if im going a larger steering wheel, im going to need a tilt adj column... anyone used one from a pulsar or K12 micra by anychance...? or should i jsut stick to getting a K11 and running a super S steering wheel?

is the supre S steering wheel any smaller than the stock one?

came across this wheel (altho hell expensive) could be a great factory upgrade.
sn538500-img600x450-12400661209brzee26295.jpg

sorry for my disjointed post but getting fine for a steering wheel s$@7's me!

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
The Super-S wheel feels slightly smaller than the LX/SLX but I'm not sure if it really is. I think it's chunkier but i'll just say it feels better than the LX equivalent.

In my LX i've got a crazy-low fixed bucket on a custom rail but still using the standard LX wheel (though it's a little hard to reach the top when strapped in with harnesses!) though the wheel will eventually be replaced with a deeper-dish wheel when it's re-trimmed. It's not got a padded centre and while it's registered, i've got other things to worry about before I get worried over a lack of a padded wheel.

It sucks that you got done for that, but at least it's something really easy to pull off and replace with a stock item :)

Edit: Wait, SLX steering columns are adjustable? Damnit! Gonna have to check one out to see if I can pinch the parts. Would be really quite useful. Where's the adjustment? Is there a lever next to the column?

---dens

deNs WROTE:

"The Super-S wheel feels slightly smaller than the LX/SLX but I'm not sure if it really is. I think it's chunkier but i'll just say it feels <EM>better</EM> than the LX equivalent.<BR><BR>In my LX i've got a crazy-low fixed bucket on a custom rail but still using the standard LX wheel (though it's a little hard to reach the top when strapped in with harnesses!) though the wheel will eventually be replaced with a deeper-dish wheel when it's re-trimmed. It's not got a padded centre and while it's registered, i've got other things to worry about before I get worried over a lack of a padded wheel.<BR><BR>It sucks that you got done for that, but at least it's something really easy to pull off and replace with a stock item :)<BR><BR>Edit: Wait, SLX steering columns are adjustable? Damnit! Gonna have to check one out to see if I can pinch the parts. Would be really quite useful. Where's the adjustment? Is there a lever next to the column?<BR><BR>---dens

no. slx steering column's arent adjustable.. it must of been a factory option or something.. as i've see
n various different models with the adjustable sterring columns.. mainly series 2's

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Haha yeah the dodgy way :p Could've been an option on S1's and factory standard on S2's. I haven't really looked closely enough tbh. I should check out the marketing brochure.. see if anything's in there.

---dens

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
arnt super S's tilt adjustable?
im pretty sure there was also a factory option on the Lx/SLX that had tilt adjustable... i know my steering column has a place for the little leaver to go...

im not in for moving the rack down as its low enough already... if anyting i need to tilt it higher...

the seats have been moved down as far as they go but i cant see after market seats going anylower... is your rails still adjustable back wards and fowards or is it just plainly fixed...

im guessing if im going to have to run a super S steering wheel or something of the likes maybe after market seat might just be what the doctor is ordering...

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
xsoarerx WROTE:

"arnt super S's tilt adjustable?

Nope, not that i've seen at least. Even Air-con wasn't a factory option in S1's - just that most people did spec them up I believe. It could be the same for this. In the standard driving position I think the wheel is placed well enough that you shouldn't need to adjust it.

My seat is on rails still, but they're not factory rails and they're quite low-profile. Can get a pic up at some point if you like. I wouldn't modify the factory rails as it'd just feel dodgy IMO. The seat is significantly lower than stock (i.e. I can't see the bonnet or the front corners from where I sit I think...).

If you can find one, a Super-S wheels would be ideal, as it looks/is factory and does feel quite a bit better than the Super-S one.

---dens

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
a pic would be amazing deNs... just to see how your setup works...

i think ill be on the search now at the wreckers finding these elusive tilt adjustable columns... if i found one or two whould would be interested (saying that i prob wont tho :S, could always import some from J land tho...)

this is such a grey area... ive looked thru, ADR, QLD transport mod guide and road use management and it jsut doesnt make it clear what you can and can not have... ive goten 350mm dia min, 330mm dia min or 330 dia over all dim. must have padded center but this rule doesnt take effect till 89 and ive been continously told its a pre 75 rule which is BS... some cars in Oz still dont come factory with elec windows but they expect a pre 89 car to have a padded center.

end rant...

will prob just decide on fitting some nice nissan wheel or momo and see where that gets me :p

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
My first S1 SLX had adjustable steering height but my other 2 S1 SLX's didn't

My S2 SuperS's and S2 LX (Tic Tac wreck) had adjustable steering.

My S1 SuperS doesn't. I am running a Momo which looks very much like the one at the start of this thread. I have put washers in the column mounting to pull the wheel down a bit. Works well.

Mate if your seat is lower than standard and you can't lower the column you must have some big ****en thighs! ;)

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
lol... yeah, i got bigish legs... :p but atm. i have ampol room when im steering and just worried putting the old wheel back in ill lose that space.

i have a stock ke70 rolla wagon with stock steering wheel and seats and i can drive the car with one thigh.

Back