Airbag problem

CMF_rob lockwood

» CMF Member
Hi, recently I,ve disconnected my airbag on my 1.0 L 1996 Micra to replace with a new steering wheel and new airbag(the old wheel was perished) Having connected the replacement wheel and airbag the airbag warning light is illuminated and the horn no longer works. I've reversed what I've done but still the warning light is on and horn inoperative. Does anyone know what the problem is?? Do I need to reset something? If so how is this done? Could I do it myself. Any replies would be greatly appreciated since I'm pulling my hair out!

CMF_jay85

» CMF Member
not on the micra but it is very simple on other vehicles
disconnect the battery for 10 minutes before start working on the car. remove the air bag and steering wheel. then the surround and the clockspring is right there. you can check for continuity with a multimetre. it is really easy to do. just to double check that this is the problem.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
rob

you,ll know if the ribbon is torn if it turns round without pulling tight
they go about 4 turns iirc then stop, so if you set it in the middle (with your wheels straight) they dont snap on full lock

frank

CMF_rob lockwood

» CMF Member
Sure thing, checked out the clockspring ribbon/spool, everyone was right, I have broken the damn thing by not centering it when replacing the steering wheel. It's off to the salvage yard for me now. A big thank you for all your comments giving me now peace of mind and preventing a big dealer bill

Back