steering Q's

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
i know its been covered a bit.
but whats better, power steering or non power steering?

im looking for a 2door LX and under the impression that it doesnt come with p/s, is there a way of increasing steering response while using non p/s rack?

i know the AE86 guys (toyota sprinters) use p/s steering nuckles with non p/s racks to increase speed/lock could something like that be done to micras as well?

but i guess that would only work if the hub/stub axles were different between the p/s and non p/s models.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Those P/S racks aren't easy to come by for 86's. ;) Though the reason people get those is for getting more angle/lock from the rack.

With the micra it's 3.1 turns to lock with P/S on a micra, and 3.9 turns to lock with one that doesn't (from memory). So you don't need to turn as much, but you don't get more lock from the power steering rack (if anything, less angle), so there's little point if that's what you're thinking.

To be honest, after driving with both for a while, I much prefer non-PS. There are times with power steering that i've been a bit worried as I wasn't able to feel which direction the wheels were pointing. Purely from steering feel and effort point of view, the little amount of extra effort you need to put into turning is well worth the steering feel you get from not being power assisted.

Micras are light enough that you shouldn't ever need power steering - I wouldn't bother. Pretty much any LX you find won't come with it, and I wouldn't see it as a downside. Power steering is for pussies and grandpas </skwisgaar> :p

---dens

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
on the Ae86's you use only the power steering arms on a non power steering rack to increase lock, not the complete rack and steering arms. i figured this might apply to other cars, the p/s arms are shorter (or longer.. cant rember?) than the non p/s arms making the steering quicker and giving you more lock due to less (or more?) angle the rack travels.

i'd prefer non p/s as well (makes car marginally lighter and less power drained, tidyer engine bay as well) and when making the car lighter again i shouldn't need it.

i thought the super s power steer rack had a different ratio to the std power steer rack? ... i think it depends alot on what wheels and what steering wheel you are running also.. if your using a big bus steering wheel, then yeh, you won't need power steering.. but with a small steering wheel. 320mm n under, you might.. i have a 320mm on my car, and its a ****in pain in the ass without p/s, i drove tony's car the other day with the stock steering wheel, and its light as.. with the same wheels. as soon as i could be bothered i'll be putting the p/s kit on the blue car... for the 1.3hp its gonna drain, i couldn't be ****ed struggling my guts out in carparks, and when combined with a small s/wheel, it's not to light, and a nice little package.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Turbo its NOT a "big bus" steering wheel! I like it.
Chase down a super S steering wheel and save yourself the cost and effort,the standard lx wheels are really crappy and not nice to use at all.

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
ill be running 14x7's 185/60's with an aftermarket steering wheel (unsure of size tho... 330mm). so it might be abit heavy but nothing im not used to driving. i have pretty heavy steering on my 81 soarer running 15x8's, 195/60's and 300mm steering wheel and a locker... altho it does have p/s, something like a micra wont nearly come close to that so im not to worried.

ive read that a p/s model will preform better in motakana style events while at higher speeds the non p/s model is saffer and more predictable steering...

hence im just interested too see if anyones gained extra lock/ steering speed without going to the complete p/s rack.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Some MA61 14x7's would look crazy on a micra.. but a little out of place I'd imagine..

Low speed stuff I can easily understand why you'd want power steering, especially with a smaller wheel (hadn't thought of that actually) but I'm just not sure about high speed stuff. The power steering isn't that overpowering in the fact that you still need to put some effort in, but i'd still prefer non P/S either way.

Sorry you're right about the 86 P/S arms.. It never really applied to me so I didn't take a huge amount of notice :p Had a KE70 and AE71 and didn't feel a huge need for more lock. Ah well. Just realised i've still got a set of 86 coilovers, steering arms and brakes I need to offload.. :p

---dens

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
lolz... i had though about ma61 rims but it just wouldnt look right... :S

these might be some volk mesh... alittle bit of dish with 0 offset i think (pending if i get them)

if your looking to off load ae86 coilovers go to www.ae86drivingclub.com and post them in the for sale section, if your not already a member :p

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I am and have been for some time now. I'm a member of quite a lot of rolla forums ;) Anyhow that's a little bit off-topic.

Can't say i'm a huge fan of bolt-on spacers but having ones that convert from 114.3 to 100 makes choices for wheels infinitely larger, dispite the fact that you'll mostly only find RWD offset and will need to guard bash (didn't say it was a bad thing ;)).

---dens

Tony WROTE:

"Turbo its NOT a "big bus" steering wheel! I like it.<BR>Chase down a super S steering wheel and save yourself the cost and effort,the standard lx wheels are really crappy and not nice to use at all.

i don't even know what a standard lx steering wheel looks like! i like my aftermarket stuff, if i wanted nice standard stuff.. i'd buy a good car to start with! :D

Back