starting problem

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Mum in laws 97 lx wont start, its turning over well, and i have spark but seemingly no fuel. i dont have a plug spanner with me to pull one out to see if it is wet though. fuel pump sounds like it primes when i put the ignition on. Where do you reckon i should go from here?

right, just pulled the fuse and it tried to catch on full throttle replaced with another fuse and it did the same, now its started and seems fine. this is all very odd.

right, just pulled the fuse and it tried to catch on full throttle replaced with another fuse and it did the same, now its started and seems fine. this is all very odd.

it could be the (2 wire) coolant temp sensor mark, if you go and unplug yours once the engine has warmed up it would flood like that if you tried to start it

would failure of the temp sensor prevent starting then? everyone has just got back and the car has just been put away "working" so i cant play now.

would failure of the temp sensor prevent starting then? everyone has just got back and the car has just been put away "working" so i cant play now.

if the c/t/s has failed/died, it will be stuck in coldstart mode mark, so it,ll start fine from cold but run rich and flood if you try to start once warm
i did a dyno test with the c/t/s disconnected if you remember ? and the printout showed if fully/constant open loop (13:1 a/f/r)

its also now running withe the old fuse. what does pulling the fuse out do frank?

A faulty ecu coolant sensor could cause it to overfuel during cold starts hence flood the cylinders. Removing the fuel pump fuse cuts off fuel pressure so no more fuel can flood it further. Now each cranking purges excess fuel out of the cylinders till the mixture is just right and she fires up briefly with residual fuel till there's not enough pressure at the injectors and begins leaning out till it stalls.

Now the cylinders dried, purged and warmed abit so when you replace the fuse it fires up fine.

so it would prevent hot starting but not cold starting? car was running fine a week aga, but wouldn't start yesterday. i presumed it would be battery related- not turning over fast enough to catch but that was fine. its struggled to start from cold. but has now started after faffing with the fuel pump fuse.

ahh i see, which does point to the coolant temp sensor then. i can swap this for one in my tourquoise car if it continues then, any other suggestions if the problem persists?

you could test the resistance with a meter mark, 2.5 k ohms @ 20 deg, and .25 k ohms @ 90 deg
also a leaking injector would leave a puddle of fuel in the bottom of the mani overnight (look down the open t/b with a torch)

ignition switch failing symptoms also

When ign switch gets sticky between the state of starting and ign on, the dash ign lights would also be off. Then the lights come back on when either from the contacts slowly springin back or you jiggle the keys abit.

Needs either overhaulin with new grease or simply replace

Back