Fuel pump problem ?

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
Have been trying to starting my 95 micra k11 without luck.

I don't know if it should but when i turn ignition key on without trying to start the car i do not hear any clicking sounds - if fuel is being pumped should i be able to hear a clicking sound ???

After turning ignition key in an attempt to start it,sounds like it wants to start and almost kicks over but it doesn't start.For this reason I don't think it is a starter motor problem.Battery checked out, plenty of fuel, all fuses ok assuming alternator ok as otherwise battery would have drained.

Spark plugs.About a year and a half ago i bought the most expensive plugs - from memory they are supposed to last 100,000 klms i think ? Haven't done anywhere near that. Could they be not functioning due to ‘age’ ?

Any ideas on What i should check next ?

High tension leads ? I don't know how old they are but they are standard.

Then fuel pump relay/fuel pump ?

Thanks everyone

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
I was in a a major rush when it broke down as was on my way to work.
So i just left it where it was,ran home(literally) about 5 klms to get my dads car to go to work. How embarassing. Anyway,I have been pondering my plan of attack since.

So my next step will be to take your advice.

When you say a drop of fuel how much is enough ? About a teaspoon ?
Then if it runs for a short time and then stops i assume this means that fuel is not getting to the engine?

Then to check the spark.
I assume the process is to remove the HT leads, remove spark plugs, attach the spark plug to the HT lead/s then crank engine in order to check for the spark placing plug the spark plug near metal ?

I guess i should also check for fuel being pumped by undoing the fuel line from on top of the filter and turning the ignition on to see if fuel is being pushed through ?

So i will need to take with me....some fuel, a container to collect fuel that may come out of the fuel line,spark plug remover,new spark plugs,possibly ht leads,and some tools such as screwdrivers,etc ??

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
Ok - So i go to the car. Spray 'Start Ya bastard' down throttle body.
Car starts and runs for about 10 seconds. I assume there is spark as it wouldn't start otherwise.I remove fuel filter to see if fuel squirts out the hose. It doesn’t. I am thinking fuel pump. I change the fuel filter (while I am there). Buy a s/h fuel pump and replace the fuel pump. After replacement I check for any clicking sound coming from the fuel pump. No sound. Try to start car, same as before.

Any ideas ?

CMF_Tinky

» CMF Member
Start ya Bastard. As Frank said relay check ? Got to watch series 2 had a bit different more square pump. iirc 51mm pre face lift round got to unclick f/p from carrier hand in tank discon. wires. hardest part was getting the bloody screw lid to fit. Ingnition off, no "durries" good luck PP. ps some other fuel Nissan pumps fit may have to change pick up though.

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
$3 test light or meter would be your best friend, see if there's power at the pump, next step back is the relay, the relay is fed from the computer, the relay is switched from a feed from your fuse box when you got reds/ignition on, computer is switched from a sensor that tells it the motor is turning but sends power for a few secs

CMF_penpusher

» CMF Member
I am back on the road after changing the fuel pump relay.

Even after doing this and with the back seat removed I turned the ignition on and still did not hear any whirring or clicking sounds at all from the pump or relay.

Back