Stalling engine

Hi guys

I am the new proud owner of a 1995 N plate Micra 1.0 CVT.

It's my first car and the best auto around both for reliability and insurance costs. Thing is that now, every now and then the engine revs drop (dramatically) the battery warning light flickers or glows as it nearly stalls and then the revs shoot up. This is very hit and miss. After I replaced all the plugs and leads, changed the oil and filter and started it it idled fine. No stutters or attempts to stall.

I took it out for a run and it ran great (which it also did before I replaced everything) and drove it back onto the drive. I left it to idle and it started doing it again!! Is it the dreaded throttle-body or is it something else?

Just one other variable to add. The stalling attempt and poor idle only seems to happen after there is a rattle from the exhaust (as though the heatshield is loose) and then it has problems with the idle. Each time the exhaust rattles first?!?!?!?

Any help would be greatly received. I also hope that my Micra isn't poorly already :-(

Nick

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Welcome Nick.
Check for any leaks around you air intake. Loose filter box, stuff like that. Did you replace the air cleaner? Have you replaced the fuel filter?
These are just the easy things to check first. Then you get into airflow sensors, throttle body etc.
I'm guessing the rattle you hear is just a red-herring and is occurring as the engine starts to get a bit rough. I cannot think of anything in the exhaust that would cause the sort of problem you describe.
We never had the 1.0 cars here in Australia.

Mike

Back