Idling/running/stalling problem

mintyfresh

Ex. Club Member
Right so ive nearly finished swapping everything from my old micra onto my new one. But ive encountered a problem because the old one is playing up.

Heres what's been done to it, so anything that could have caused it can be identified:
Exhaust system has been off and standard on put back on (tried to start with only manifold and cat on and didnt want to)
Standard air filter is back on
Spark plugs from new car are in it to rule them out
Battery was weak but jumped from another battery
Sub and wiring removed
Radio removed
Speakers changed

What the car has done:
Failed to start the other day with no exhaust system on, put it down to the fact it had not been driven for a while and had no exhaust (although this shouldnt have mattered should it?)
Failed to start yesterday after putting the exhaust on, strong starter motor and used another battery to make sure it was making enough power. Was low on petrol so i put 5 litres in from jerry can. Sounded like it was going to start when pumping the gas but never did. Plugs came out and were wet/black so dried them off and tried again with no luck. Tried easystart (a squirt down each plug hole and then in the T/B, no use. Today i swapped the plugs from my new car into the old one, and it still wouldnt start, i hooked the battery up and then it started after pumping the gas and holding it at high revs, idled very low (about 250rpm) and continued to low idle after removing the battery that was jumping it. Tried to drive it, and whenever lifted off the throttle it would stall and only start again with gas and now doesnt idle at all. The old plugs from this car are in my new one and it starts and runs so i dont think they were actually the problem, just a coincidence that it runs now.

I dont really know whats up, i havent touched the idle or anything. Fuel is getting through (could still be a partially blocked fuel filter?) because its running (you have to hold the revs at 1k or above if you lift off it stalls) so i dont really know what it could be. If you need to know anything else ask me and ill try to answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated cause i really need to be able to sell this car soon :(

Swap the throttle body to your new micra and see if it moves to that car if not swap back. You can try the fuel filter too. Also when and if it can idle alone unplug each injector and ht lead individually to see a noticeable engine noise change to rule out faulty injector/ht lead/spark plug...

My dad just tightened the throttle cable and it now idles at 1k without stalling, but this isnt a proper fix is it?

Will have a look at this when the rain dies down (if it ever does) just seems odd that it would have changed when i haven't touched it :S

Throttle cables back where it was now, and idle has been adjusted. Its fine now just random why it needed adjusting at all when i hadn't touched it and was running fine previously :S
Cheers anyway guys!

Back