Stalling!

Jimbob101

Club Member (Trial)
Hi Everyone,

Just to introduce myself I'm Jim and I own a little L Reg 1.0 Micra. I need some help!

My micra has run fine over the last few years it has 92k on the clock and over the last few months it has started to stall randomly but mostly when I'm stationary (eg traffic lights etc). I can overcome this problem by keeping up the rev's but as you can guess it's a bit tricky if I'm slowing down having to break and rev at the same time! There also seems to be a strong weird eggy/petrol smell.

So I'm not sure if it could be that the auto choke needs adjusting because it is running too rich or if it's this common throttle body problem that people have encountered.

Other than that it's running fine the only thing I have noticed is that the CV joints have started to click. I haven't done any car maintenance before but thinking I should really make a start now! I only paid £500 for it 4 years ago and it has been my first car and to be honest I have had my money's worth. I'm just not sure whether to get rid and get another slightly newer micra or are the problems I have worth sorting out? I have a feeling it might run nicely once these problems have been sorted.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance

Jim

frank

Club Member
hi jim

that eggy smell is just your catalytic converters doing their job!
the cv boot is probably split if its clicking, only cure is new joint, but mine got no louder for another 2 yrs after fitting new boot only

frank

OP
OP
J

Jimbob101

Club Member (Trial)
stalling

Hi Guys,

Firstly I will check the throttlebody PCB and see if there are any dry joints. I didn't get a chance to do much last night as I had to fit a new drivers side window and repair my wing mirror.

Frank would you say it's possible to carry out the CV repair myself? Do you know if it's covered in the haynes manual?

Just to add..I've also noticed a small flat spot on acceleration I think Katie said in a recent post that is something to do with a dodgey MAF? or maybe the fuel filter?

Thanks for all your help,

Jimbob

frank

Club Member
jimbob 101

you should be ok to diy it, slacken off the big hub nut (humdinger socket 42mm or something) then jack the car up and remove the 2 bolts on hub/leg.
hold the shaft tight then wack the hub outwards to free the pot joint from the shaft (little circlip snags it together).
joint will come out with steering on full lock

frank

there is a guide (with photos) for this very job in the K11 section for paid up members, it's well worth the money for all the extras and discounts.