Micra almost stalling intermittently

CMF_Geoff R

» CMF Member
Hi all,

Delighted to discover this excellent Micra site! :)) I've just registered, and here is my first post...

Has anyone experienced, or know anything about this problem:

I have a much-loved blue '95 5-door SLX CVT Micra which has recently begun almost stalling intermittently, particularly in heavy traffic.

eg sometimes when slowing down for traffic lights, instead of the rpm stabilizing as the car comes to a stop, the revs would keep dropping, & become somewhat erratic/unstable. Actual stalling could just be avoided by grabbing Neutral & holding the accelerator carefully until the rpm stabilized again at the usual idle level.

Q1: My local Dealer service people ran all the tests and say I should replace the "throttle body". They don't think it's the "air-flow meter", even though I've read that failure causes rough or inconsistent idle. What do you Micra experts think?

Q2: If a new throttle body is required, they've quoted around $1,000 - would a used one be worth considering?

Q3: If yes, any suggestions for a reputable Sydney supplier?

Q4: And can anyone recommend a Micra expert in Sydney who could test drive it and give me a second opinion?

All contributions welcome - thanks in advance! :)

Cheers, Geoff R

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
The dodgey air flow meter wiring can cause alot more than just rough idle.

Before buying a second hand one (which you don't know the history of) or a brand new one for $1000 (ouch!) I suggest you find an auto electrician (if you're not too handy with a soldering iron) and give this little trick a whirl:

http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/cg13de-throttle-body-resoldering-guide.php

You never know...

IF that doesnt work then I guess you can explore your other options.

Cheers

CMF_Geoff R

» CMF Member
thx for the tip, guys - that's added a 3rd (and cheapest!) choice :)
so, now it's decisionmaking time:

Choice#1 New:
Parts (tb & gasket) $1,000 + labour $180 = total $1,180
Risk: none

Choice#2 Used:
Parts (tb ex-75k kms '98 manual CG13 engine) $90 + new gasket $20 + labour $180 = total $290
Risk: used tb may have same/another intermittent fault?

Choice#3 Re-solder:
Parts $0 + labour (est. 2 hrs) $160 = total $160
Risk: existing tb may have another intermittent fault?

waddaya reckon??? do those numbers look OK?? anything else to consider?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
2 hours is a bit generous for the work which needs to be done in my opinion... But I do everything myself because I'm tight. :p

Not really any other options.

For those prices I would rather spend extra on the second hand TB and then fix up the current one myself and keep it handy incase the new one develops the same fault.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
2 hours?!

Bah! Honestly it took me all of 5 minutes! That included:
[*] Removing Airbox
[*] Removing the seal on the panel
[*] Re-soldering!!!

Honestly, if you are at least half competent with a soldering iron you can do it in WAY under an hour. If not, try see if a friend is and give it a go. It fixed my old Micra's woe's instantly. Luckily my new one hasn't developed this problem though..

If you need any help and you just so happen to be in Canberra, I'd be happy to give you a hand :)

Sean

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I'm sure a hands-on Sydney member would be more than willing to help you out for easily half what you've been quoted.

Infact if you find the right member, they might even do it for just a carton of beer! :p

Cheers

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi GeoffR,

Like everyone here i definately recommend trying the re-soldering trick first...

FYI if this doesn't help there are a couple of vendors in the UK on "ebay" able to supply a new/reconditioned throttle body at a much cheaper price than the $1000 you have been quoted. Some links below.

Brand new one (Item number: 4575895903)about $450 including postage :
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-MICRA-AI...ryZ10402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Recon One (6months warranty.. about $200 including postage) :
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MICRA-AIRFLO...itemZ4575895875QQcategoryZ10402QQcmdZViewItem

Hopefully the soldering trick will work for you and you won't need a replacement unit anyway.... Good luck.

CMF_gazzak

» CMF Member
Ditto the above. The 93 Micra I bought a couple of months back started doing exactly the same thing as yours, so I performed the soldering tip. Having not been under a bonnet for a good number of years I expected a couple of hours, but had the whole thing done in about 45 minutes and I was taking it slowly.

Now I have a beautifully running motor with all previous loss of power completely gone.

Thanks to the guy who put together that pdf, superb!

CMF_Sal

» CMF Member
Hey Geoff R,
My 95 micra has been experiencing the same symptoms as yours and my dad and i couldn't work out what the problem was, but after reading this we're gonna try the soldering tip tomorrow and see how she runs then...will keep you posted. Fingers crossed ay!
Sal :)

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
$20 soldering Iron from **** Smith
$2 worth of Solder from **** Smith
$12 tube of Black Silicon from Repco
Micra that doesnt stall, Priceless.

Its really simple dood. Heat up soldering iron, re-melt/add extra solder if needed to the soldered points, seal it up with silicon, Enjoy.
Give it a try fixing yourself first, and if you fail, its only a dodgy TB you killed anyway (or just get a pro to fix it) :D

Also, whack up a pic of your pride and joy! Always nice to see a new Micra to the forums.

CMF_Sal

» CMF Member
Awesome, thanx heaps matey...but being a chick who knows squat about technical thingys like this, ill leave the soldering up to my dad lol. Hopefully it solves my prob coz its becomin a nuisance and i hate seeing my baby sick!

Will post some pics tomorrow nite, she's VERY standard :p But any micra's a good micra right!!

Sal

CMF_Sal

» CMF Member
Hey, just done the soldering thing and took her for a drive...happy to report it seems to have worked coz she's runnin like a dream! Thanx for the tip and anyone else experiencing the same problems should really give it a go...Sal :)

CMF_zorglub

» CMF Member
hi all

good afternoon from Belgium
It's a pleasure for me to find a solution from your so far country
I try the re-soldering on my wife's car . Now It 's a new car !!!!
superb !!!!Congratulation !!!

please note also some corrosion between different old soldering on the plate ??? Maybe also a reason ?

many many thanks

vincent
Red Lx 1.0 93
154.OOO km

CMF_Geoff R

» CMF Member
G'day all,

(drumroll...)

It's now 2+ months since TB joints resoldered by a local auto electrician - and the intermittent stalling has disappeared entirely!!! :)))

(loud cheering from the assembled masses!)

So, many thanks, Yom & micra-man - that link was spot on!

And thanks especially to Alex B for putting together that excellent pdf - your super-clear pictures were extremely helpful! :)) btw, my soldering skills were a bit rusty, so I printed your pages and gave them to the auto electrician just to be on the safe side.

Also, thanks simply mighty & makes for adding your info & experience - it helped my confidence in deciding to give the re-soldering choice#3 a try. But it seems like he made some easy money - pity I couldn't justify a trip to Canberra! (thx for the offer anyway, Sean)

Anyhow, glad my first post turned out to be a useful one :))

Cheers, Geoff R

PS And g'day to gazzak, Sal, Toma & zorglub - what a helpful (and global!) Micra community this is turning out to be!

Back