Stage 1...2..3....5000 tuning

pork

Club Member
What exactly does stage 1 or 2, 3 tuning actually involve?

Go on a couple of forums and you see a few comments like 'yes bruv, should stage 2 it yeah'

Does any of this actually apply to road going cars?

Its a load of crap. Stages of tune are subjective. But many agree that stage 1 is exhaust and filter... anything beyond this and its pot luck.

If we apply it your build Neil
Stage 1 - CG13
Stage 2 - Bike carbs
Stage 3 - Turbo

Basically a waste of time... but helps car builders understand what level the build is at if thats how they plan it

I found when hunting around for an engine builder that it's very dependent on the company (read 'arbritrary').
But roughly I see it as:
Stage 0= rebuild
Stage 1= Stage 0 + balanced end to end (inc clutch), matched ports, equalised combustion chambers
Stage 2= Stage 1+ new cams, ported/flowed head, increased comp ratio, lightened flywheel
Stage 3= Stage 2+ lightened/forged internal components e.g. pistons, rockers/cam followers, stiffer valve springs to accomodate higher RPM'S, higher valve lift, bigger valves.

Totally different to what some people say because again, it's arbritrary.

In the classic mini sense:
Standard : mini as factory standard
Stage 1 : KN air filter, different carb needle and an uprated exhaust manifold / backbox
Stage 2 : As above, plus different rockers
Stage 3 : As above plus a modified cylinder head (2 and 3 are generally done at the same time)
Onwards from there is totally rebuilt / lightened and modified to the extreme

But this is subjective, its generally only the stage one which is "labeled" if you see what i mean

Its something thats left over from days gone by when the reference was mainly for cylinder heads. stage 1 port and polish, stage 2 large inlet valves std exhaust, stage 3 Large inlet/exhaust valve ultimate spec for the day. HTH

Back