SR20DE conversion

CMF_royale

» CMF Member
Hey guys, just got myself a manual SLX.

Wondering what was involved in a conversion to an SR20DE?

What parts do i need? (Aside from the engine/gearbox itself)

New engine management?

Mounts?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Someone post a document a while back and this is the info supplied re: SR20 conversions

SR20 Conversion

Parts list

1 x Micra to be converted
1 x SR20 Donor car to be stripped
1 x Set of custom driveshafts
1 x custom centre member
1 x custom gearbox mount
1 x 24.5 inch 4 rib water pump belt

Tools

Welder
Spanner set
Socket set
Hammer
Grinder
Engine hoist

What to do

Warning to start this conversion you will need a lot of time and money. You will also need a 2nd car as the car that is being converted will be off the road for awhile.

Step 1

Remove engine from the micra.

Step 2

Remove the entire loom from the Micra as you will be using the full donor loom.

Step 3

Remove engine and entire loom from the donor car. Also cut out the driver’s side and gearbox mounts out of the donor car as these will be required.
Step 4

Remove the original Micra mounts as these are not suitable.

Step 5

Engine Prep

Remove the power steering pump from the engine but the problem is that this is the tensioner for the water pump belt. What you will need is a 24.5inch 4 rib belt which will be a tight fit over the crank pulley and water pump pulley but eliminates the need for a tensioner.

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Step 6

Engine mounts

Driver’s side chassis mount:

This basically welds on other that the non structural part of the Micra engine bay needs to be cut and welded slightly to accommodate the mount.

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Gearbox chassis Mount:

This is a simple weld on job.

Right now you have the mounts welded in you can bolt the engine in using the driver’s side mount and can work out how your gearbox mount will need to be made.

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Step 8

Drive Shafts

There are few options here from cutting and welding sleeves around the shafts to getting custom made.

The option I would recommend is custom made ones they are expensive but at least you have the peace of mind of not breaking shafts they shafts I got made cost £570 which isn’t to bad.

Measuring Shafts

The way I measured my shafts was to cut Micra shafts in half and the donor car shaft in half and mate the two together working out if I had clearance inside the inner CV joints so that they wouldn’t hit.

Mocked up shafts:

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Step 9

Loom

Transfer all of the donor loom into the Micra you will be able to get the car started and use the donor dials but for most other things you will have to pick through the loom to find out the wiring for all the lights.

Step 10

Linkages will have to be cut and bent for use on the Micra

Step 11

The exhaust will have to be a custom cat back but a sr20 manifold and front pipe fit in without foxing.

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Hope that helps. The most expensive part is get the drive shafts made, haven'y done it myself but I hear your looking around $1800 for a pair.

Good luck with it. I was looking at doing it before I decided on a turbo conversion. Main reason I didn't do it is, I thought the handling would be effected by the extra weight in the front.

CMF_royale

» CMF Member
Wow, bit more of a task than I thought. (My primary concern is ease of conversion rather than a specific engine type)

CA18?

What would you recommend Dan or is forced induction your recommendation? (Your build thread is awesome by the way)

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
CA18 would be the same you'd need custom drive shafts.

You can make more power from turbo'd cg13 than a stock N/A SR20.

If I was going for a engine conversion I'd be going the SV16de.

Back