Spring fitting

Robert

Ex. Club Member
been quoted £70 for fitting gmax springs and OMP strurbrace, seem like a good price or have i been had?

Considering everywhere else quoted around £100 I've gone for it and they're being fitted tuesday, just wanting to know what kind of price others have paid?

i didnt get my springs fitted in a garage i got my boyfrineds sisters next door neighbour to do them..he also put the alloys on for me and my tail lights and my clear repeaters..I gave him £50 but he is also gonna put my dampers on (when i eventually get them)

Sorry bud but thats a "had" in my opinion, there's a guide of fitting a strut on the site in my sig and springs are easy enough, spring comrpessors cost about £20 and takes about 2 hours first time due to bolts not being touched in ages.

What spring compressors would you reccomend??

Looking on ebay, there are different types and i'm confused, i'm gonna give this a go myself, looks extremly easy to do!! Gonna fit a strut brace at the same time.

I was tempted to try it myself, but didnt wanna risk it incase something went wrong, at least i know it'll be safe and good to use. Eventually i'll be getting new dampers, maybe i'll give it a shot myself then..

i would suggest keep shopping around £70 is still too high to pay for spring change. a strut brace takes literally 2 minutes to put on.

Rob - it's difficult to go wrong and mechanics still can get it wrong, but £70 is still pricey, when I was gonna get mine done I was quoted £10 a spring

goldstar0011 said:
these look about right

Thats the ones I've just bought for doing mine, they appear to be a good tool, very sturdy, I haven't had chance to use them yet, but will let you know when I have, which weather permitting will be tomorrow.

hmm.. well i got til tuesday to find it cheaper, i think it's more impatience than anything else :doh:

failing that i'll try the "somewhere else quoted me cheaper" line

maybe thats why.. southwest prices are just more. lol.

Anyways, I'll try and knock the price down a bit somehow, they've done work for me before so that may help also.

I'll post pics when done :D

bah, just do it yourself, only takes an afternoon and you will learn something too.
They are a good-lookingset of compressors above, I like :)

goldstar0011 said:
Rob - it's difficult to go wrong and mechanics still can get it wrong, but £70 is still pricey, when I was gonna get mine done I was quoted £10 a spring

lets face it not every one is mechanically minded. for the sake of 70 quid id rather take it to a garage as its a hell of a lot less hassle. plus if theres any comebacks its one less for you to worry about.

just pay for it dude, 70 quid aint gonna break the bank.......

just ask for the front two to b done 30 quid? n the back ones just undo the strut bolt push down pull out rear springs fit new ones! u will kick urself if u paid to have them fitted at a garage

i fitted Tom Ace's for him yesterday, took about an hour and half. and only charged him a tenner.

Alienfish360 said:
you could drive up here and I'd do them and you could drive back for less petrol money for that lol

from cornwall....haha nice short drive :)

a wouldnt say you have been had, in fact its actually quite cheap, its normally £25 a corner. Personally i would do it myself as i know what im doing and in fairness, considering the amount of work that needs doing £70 is OTT but its just garages for you and its cheap for a garage, get yourself to mine and al fit the lot for £40, strut brace takes 10 mins lol if that

Alienfish360 said:
You'd be better off buying a haynes for £20 and doing it yourself.
but there's the added expense of buying the spring compressors, your time to do it, and possibly time off work if you loose a finger, because it's the first time you've done anything mechanical. lol (not saying that i think anyone on here would do that. but it could happen to the best of us sometime. lol). or wish you had lost your finger because of a skinned knuckle. lol.:glance:

To be honest, playing with suspension isn't something I'd want to tackle myslef, and I'd rather pay out for someone thats done it numerous times before to do it. And so its in the garage now

:D

Back