Fitting a bigger engine??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ 1.0l

Ex. Club Member
Hello all, i am afraid this is going to be a long thread as i don’t know much about fitting a bigger engine. I am thinking about fitting a bigger engine in my micra but don’t want to do too much modify to the chassis (i understand some will occur but nothing too major). I would assume you could fit a 1.6litre, 1.8litre or even a 2.0litre which is pretty insane. I have a 98 pre face lift micra on a R plate.

I have a few questions which i hope you can all answer:-

1. What is the biggest engine that has actually been fitted in a micra (under the bonnet not put in the back in place of the rear seats)

2. Can you fit other nissan engines in a micra, like from a almera or primera or pulsar:D etc

3. What does SR20DE mean is this a special engine that you can buy for the micra or “code word” for another nissan engine.

4. Obviously with fitting a bigger engine other things will have to be changed like suspension, but will drive shafts and axels have to be changed to cope with the extra power.

5. Also anyhthing else i need to know would be brilliant.

Also to go with this thread i wanted to lower my car by about 35mm. Anyone shed some lighton this aswell.

Cheers

Jordan

p.s if this is in the wrong place please move:D

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
1. I'm guessing 2.0 but something of a similar dimension which has a larger capacity should fit with a few engine mount mods and relocating things e.g. coolant tank

2. Yes

3. Nissan SR engine. 20 means 2.0 litre. Hazard a guess that D refers to DOHC - the straght 4, 4 stroke - 4 valve set up. Don't know about the 'E'

LORD HAVE MERCYYYYYYYY I just found out that the original Pulsar GTi R engine was designed for rally purposes with one Throttle body per cylinder and a T28 Garret Turbo - talk about power... must have been 250-80 bhp easy!

4. Yes

5. waits for the experts to post...

Just so you the standard engines for your micra that will fit straight in are the 1.3 and 1.0, with changes to ecu (computer) you can also get a 1.4 in from a later model. Nothing bigger can be bought "for the micra", people on this site have done conversions and fitted 1.6 and 2.0 nissan engines (use the search button or join the club and visit the blogs section), these both require custom engine mounts, drive shafts and wiring loom.
The chassis doesnt really have to be modified, the problem being the water pump pulley that is very close to the o/s/f chassis leg, for the 1.6 you can over come this by welding custom mounts but with the 2.0 you need custom mounts and you either need to cut and reweld the chassis (weakens it) or remove the standard pump and reposistion with an electric pump (alot of work in it self!).

Im sure someones put in a bigger lump than a 2.0, just not as far as im aware (you can fit whatever you want in if you have the money)!

A little breif but i got the easy bits out of the way, if i missed anything or if its incorrect please fill in, basicly its either an expensive time consuming job or just a very expensive job!
Lower your car 35mm you can get lowering springs for it or join the club and take part in our group buy for a set of coil overs!
Joiun up here: http://www.micra.org.uk/payments.php

OP
OP
JJ 1.0l

JJ 1.0l

Ex. Club Member
cheers guys.

so ok if i fit a 1.6 almera engine into my micra what would i need?? obviuosly engine, drive shafts?, new suspension? etc but where would i get the parts as well, i mean as i am on a sort of buget ebay? for the engine. but suspension i wanna get new for safety reasons but everything else scrappy's and junk yards?

thanks

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
PPL quote me if i'm wrong, but you will require:
Engine
Gearbox
Drive shafts (from Micra and Almera and these will need to be cut n welded together (Almera Inner CV, Micra Outer CV))
I would uprate brakes At least to 1.6 Almera Brakes if not 2.0
ECU
Wiring Loom
Should be ok on STD suspension as it's not too much extra weight.
I'm not too certain but maybe the manifold fitment may be different,
I believe the airbox fitment is the same, although the Micra Airbox may be a little on the small side.

Think thats everything!

edit
When doing a transplant you'll also be best off doing a full service too, new clutch, gearbox oil, engine oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, maybe HT leads. All of these parts which you'd need to buy new.

Raceworx

IM BRINGING SEXY BACK
1. What is the biggest engine that has actually been fitted in a micra (under the bonnet not put in the back in place of the rear seats)

2. Can you fit other nissan engines in a micra, like from a almera or primera or pulsar:D etc

3. What does SR20DE mean is this a special engine that you can buy for the micra or “code word” for another nissan engine.

4. Obviously with fitting a bigger engine other things will have to be changed like suspension, but will drive shafts and axels have to be changed to cope with the extra power.

5. Also anyhthing else i need to know would be brilliant.

1) the biggest i have seen are a fair few SR20DET's

2) pritty much any FWD nissan engine will fit with work.. engines that fit without needing chassis mods are the CG13DE 1.3 and CGA3DE 1.4 later spec engine..

3) SR is the engine seiries just like k11's have a CG series engine the next two numbers are the size of the engine 20 being 2.0 13 being 1.3 ect D means double over head valves E means electronic injecton..

5) anything more than the 1.3 will need some kind of spring and damper change the 1.6 is a cast iron block and is just as heavy as the 2.0 all aluminium SR20 which is also quite heavy compaired to the 1.3

i am affraid its the old addage if you have to ask you probably dont have the skills to pull it off yourself.. anything bigger than the 1.6 will need all the mounts changing alot of electronic bits sorting driveshafts will have to be custom built.. i know you can weld them together but i would rather just have some made that i know won't snap.

the 1.6 will require a little less wiring and i dont think the mounts are to far off. also the 1.3 and 1.6 drive shafts can be cobined to make a set of servicable shafts.. also i dont think the wiring is as complicated either..

Type-R

Ex. Club Member
If you have the money and experience then you need to think outside the box here.

Try something new like toyota turbo, or honda vtec etc.

If you ahve the money and experience to do a 2.0L you can quite happily manage a engine from another engine. Was going to open another thread on that actually, if you can get a engine around the 1.6 mark all alloy i think we could be on to a winner for track performance (jap engine)! Any ideas (sorry to go off topic!)

Raceworx

IM BRINGING SEXY BACK
B16/18 from an EK9 civic type R with a full-race turbo kit on there.. for drag or the same lump on TB's for a track racer..

Status
Not open for further replies.