Speakers, Subs, Headunits, etc..

meji

Club Member (Trial)
Right I'm a total idiot when it comes to in car sound systems.
I don't have a clue where to start.
I know I need to firstly buy a CD player for my car but I want it to have at least an aux in at the front.
Then I want to be able to power a nice subwoofer and speakers.

I'm not looking for something amazingly expensive because I'm a cheapskate, plus I'm a poor student.

If someone supperrr kind could possibly show me what I'm looking for in detail I'd be mega greatful!

Basically CD player, speakers, sub, amp?? but yeah not too expensive, don't care about too much power just quality, because I don't want to share my music outside of the car lol it's just for me to enjoy in car.

Thanks!
Jack.

i have a nice little JBL setup and it cost me less than £150 including the JVC headunit bought from Halfies and a cheapy mutant sub for free off of a mate (Y)

Price range... Not entirely sure as I could save up.

BUT sed5000 would you mind giving me some more details about this setup?
Like the product names, numbers, etc.
Sounds quite interesting ;)

You can get powerful crap but remember power has a bit in common with quality. Subs like to share what your listening to with the outside world whether you like to or not :) You can get a good sound from headunit, door speakers and 6x9s alone i.e. no seperate amp and sub. If you put 6x9s in yer parcel shelf you'd be suprised how much more bass you can get by insulating your boot also.

Im no expert just my 2p :)

robbs right you dont really need a sub just mine was free so (Y)
as for my set up i have some small JBL 2 way speakers in the front and 2 6x9's on my parcel shelf check my blog for pictures :D as for details
i have a headunit very similar to this:
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-jvc-kd-g342_p-23106.htm
and speakers:
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/pro...e=ENG&Country=GB&Region=EUROPE&cat=MEL&ser=GT
and rears:
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/pro...e=ENG&Country=GB&Region=EUROPE&cat=MEL&ser=GT

good luck (Y)

I see.
I like Drum n Bass, Jungle, Dubstep, Darkside, so I kinda want a lot of bass and quality.
Not bothered how stupidly loud it goes. Just want a nice little sound system.
The standard Micra one has literally no bass haha.

Dont get me wrong ive very nearly bought a sub on many occasions :)

Also i was very suprised how much better quality sound i got when i got a better headunit last year (old unit was a Sony MP40, decent mid-range quality, new one is a Sony GT710, higher range quality like-ish lol), in terms of bass it was like having an extra speaker back there!

Ohh right ok, so unless I want SUPERRR loud bass, then turn to a sub, but some decent speakers should be good enough for now.
Also thanks sed5000 I'm gonna check those out now mate.

mate you are into the same music as me and you realy need a 10" sub!!!! or its plain and simple Sh*t. i would go to halfords and have a look at some of the deals, vibe do a good few with the amp built in but i would say get the best your money can get!

If your looking for audio equiptment id advise caraudiodirect.co.uk halfords tend to be a tad over priced + if your a full member you get a great discount :D

Thanks for the link but mate I kinda wanna know what I'm looking for, I must not of made this clear in my posts.

I haven't a clue what I'm looking for or what powers what.

As far as I'm aware the headunit can power speakers? and subs? but some subs and speakers need an amplifier? but all these things I don't know what I'm looking for lol.

Could anyone help me? Give me the basic run down of amps, watts, RMS etc or whatever.

Would be greatly appreciated if someone could help.
Thanks!

Give me a price range and i will find you what you need. Remember you will need wiring and other bits and pieces as well you must budget for.

And to answer you last question, the sub will not power off the headunit.

Sorry I never actually read the whole thing, miss's keeps wanting the computa so Im in a hurry :p

Basically all headunits will have a power out rating this is what will power the speakers - it will be something like - 4x100watt(i think dont quote me) if you want to power some decent brands go for a nice 4x150 this will pretty much ensure that your headunit will power a lot of decent speakers smoothly and clearly. As for your SUB, personally ive never ran mine of a head unit, i usually power the sub from a decent AMP which is powered by the headunit (after that it gets complecated :p)

Im not explaining myself very well at the moment cuz im in a hurry but i'll reply more detailed tomorrow night. Basically you need to get your hands on a half decent headunit to start with, its generally you get what you pay for (unless there on special offer), Alpine's a personal favourite of mine. If your willing to spend £80-£90+ on a headunit your likely to get all the power ratings you'll need to run what you like :) Take a look around and like I say join the MSC as a full member and you'll get a nice discount on caraudiodirect.co.uk ... Good luck with the search and like i say i'll reply with further detail tomorrow, its likely other people will help you a lot aswell :D

Mike, I'm willing to spend whatever really, I just have to save up week by week, but I will eventually be able to afford it.

And thanks C0llis0n.
It's basically, Head Unit to Speakers(front), Head Unit to Amp, Amp to Sub?

Back