Front Speakers for K11

Hi Guys,

I managed to fit the my new head unit the other day despite the wire colours not matching anything in the Haynes Manual so that was fun :)

Anyway my next challenge is that I want to replace the stock speakers. my 2002 S K11 doesnt seem to have the wiring in place for any rear speakers so I just want to work on the front ones for now. One step at a time :)

I read that (on this forum in fact) that the max install depth is 55mm. So I was thinking a pair of Sony XS-GT1728F would be suitable. According to their manual they have a depth of 45mm.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers/full-range/6-5-inch-coax-17cm/sony-xs-gt1728f

Other than maybe drilling some new screw holes, would I need to do anything else to install these? Would they fit?

Any advice would be great as I'm new to this car/car audio business.

Richard

Driver side in the boot, remove the trim, you should see the rear wiper relay, there will be a four wired connector there, this is your rear speaker wires

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yeah, they are not there, there isn't even any wires for them in the connector block behind the head unit. Just the 2 front speakers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Agh, fire 4 wires up the driver side and sorted :) I have Mb Quartz 5.1/4 fronts and Mb Quartz 6x9's in the rear, luckily I had the plug :)

Ai, you may need to drill new mounting holes, thats about it. I had more work due to being component speakers with Cross overs and tweeters plus being to small... few metal straps done. You will be fine, I find the standard plastic door grills rattle a bit.

So I found time to install my new speakers this weekend and all went very smoothly. The Sony XS-GT1728F speakers fit perfectly and I didn't even have to drill any new holes.

This was with the trim removed and the speaker had 3 huge screws holding it in.
DSC_0016.JPG

It had this brown connector on the end of the speaker wires, so I cut this off and crimped some bullet connectors on and shrink-wrapped them.
DSC_0017.JPG

The new speakers had holes in exactly the same spots as the old ones, so I just used the 3 original screws to fasten them in place. Job done. I didn't use the funky new grills that came with the Sony speakers as the door trim stands off from the speaker and has it's own grill. It doesn't look the best but it's better than trying to mount the speakers on the actual door trim.
DSC_0018.JPG

Back