Speaker trouble.

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
Well, today, on a exciting trip to the scrappy, I found a pair of Mutant X NW68SPX, which looked in pretty good nick, if I might add. Are these good speakers?

So I payed a tenner for them, and took em home.

Well, after wiring them up, oh dear. They sound terrible weak and tinny. However, you can feel the woofer vibrating, so they work. Just quietly with no bass.

Well, I've decided it's down to four things:

1. Underpowered. They are RMS 150 watts. I connected them up to my head unit which is RMS 30 or something.
2. Dodgy connection or crappy cables. I used the stock nissan cable loom to the back, instead of laying my own, and then made up some spade connectors with a fancy plug. Bad connection?
3. Knackered crossovers. The crossovers in them are fudged, which could be solved with a bit of soldering.
4. They're fudged. Like an umpa lumpa under a steam roller. General scrap yard climate and beatings might of seen the end of them. Although, they look top spec, which is confusing me.

Can anyone shed any light, as to what it might be? I reckon they're underpowered, supremely, but I might be wrong.

I had a pair of 6x9's powered off a 45 watt head unit with no problems so I doubt it's that. If you ask me I'd say the material thats used to keep the cone attached to the ring has worn (either from being in the scappy or over used boyracer) and thats why their blowing....

best bet is to measure the impedience or the so called the voice coil resistance, and most speakers come in 8 ohms or 4 ohms, you will need to use a multimeter for this,

also the bass units cannot reproduce mid range and high range sounds so they won't appear to sound very loud, and as far as the bass notes are concerened, speakers need to be placed in cabinets, either air tight sealed or reflex type cabinets where thyere is a hole in the front to generate their best bass response.

if you haven't got a multimeter, you could check them with a 9volt PP3 battery, connect the speaker terminals one way across the 9 volt battery and the cone should move a fair amount one way or the other ad then reverse the battery and it should move in the opposite direction, if it seems sticky or the voice coil is partly burnt then the cone wouldn't move too far or hardly move at all and it may sound like the voice coil is rubbing on the magnets inside.

Well, i checked the resistance. Both 4 ohm as stated. I also tried it with the 9v battery (out the fire alarm in good ole 9 battery fashion) and they move perfectly fine.

I then stuck a plastic box behind the speakers, and they became a bit louder, and a bit bassier, but not by much.

I'm still going with my original thought of, they're under powered, but if anyone can suggest anything else before I go buy an amp or something.

They wont be under powered!

My vibe slicks were nearly 200watt rms and powere with a 25rms cd player output

Trust me its not the power, they sound damaged as said in the second post

Bash, whitehorse, 1 mile west of exeter. If you want another one this way, theres one on the east side of honiton on the A30, about 1/2 a mile out, called newbury carbreakers. It might be down in the phone book as corbin, dunno what it is, but that place is good, but it's more a breakers then a scrapyard. But i rekon whitehorse is the best around here.

I just played em through a proper hi fi amp, with decent speaker wires. They sound amazing. Really good quality i reckon. So i then used those high quality speaker leads, and held em into the wiring plugs at the head unit, and again, a good quality sound. So, it was the option no one chose. The stock Nissan wiring is, to be gentle, fudged. Got some high quality speaker leads that'll run to the back now. Just trying to figure out the best route. Up the middle or the sides?

Yeah.

Found that one out when I got to the handbrake surround.

All wired in now, just gotta get some spade connecters for the headunit, and a bit more wire to go to the speakers, then it should be good. All works with handheld connections, so it should work with more permanent ones. And i shall do that after rush hour. Exeter is dreadful for it.

Sorted. Thread finished.

A word to others considering rear speakers. Don't bother with the nissan wiring. Just use your own.

Back