More front speaker assistance

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
Hey all. :)

When I got my car the only speakers it had were two 6x9s that were completely wrecked. I picked up some cheap repalcements and hooked them up to the dodgy wiring the previous owner had done.

I just picked up some speakers for the fronts doors. Some 6.5 splits from Jaycar. They are a little big for the stock holes so will have to make a couple of spacers by the looks for it.

I thought they were going to be a direct wire in from the factory wiring, as this past weekend I installed some new locks and noticed that the factory wiring 'appeared' to still be in place. I thought "great, nice and simple to install". Of course it wasn't, the guy had done as I first thought and cut the wires for the front speakers, and extended them to the rears.

Is it ok to just splice into the wires for each side and add another wire to get to the front speaker so the fronts and rears run off the same main wire? I did test to see if the speaker would work if I were to do this and I got sound, just not sure if that could overload the circuit or something. If I can do this I was thinking I can solder in the new wires for the front off the rear speaker wires, and run them up behind the dash (once I work out how to get enough of that out to feed the wires) and through the holes to the doors.

Is this possible, or will I set my car on fire doing so?

Thanks in advance. :)

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
Also what would be the best way to make a spacer for the speakers? Or could I just take out the stock speaker grills and install the speakers on top of that with the grills they come with? The door trims may make space enough to install the speakers maybe?

CMF_qwerty132

» CMF Member
Hey,
There should be wires for the back speakers already there. Look behing the carpet/trim on the right side looking at the boot. There should be a 4 pin connector somewhere.

Find that plug and wire the back speakers to it and then reconnect the front speakers where they have been cut.

Can you let us know how the Jaycar speakers fit in the front? I currently have them in the back but would rather them in the front.
Just looking at them I reckon they are waaayyy to deep to fit behind the standard trim.

Thanks
qwerty132

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
i heard that the silvia door pods fit really nice on the K11. That would look very good i think. And would hide the speakers real well. I am thinking bout givin it a go.

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
qwerty132 WROTE:

"Hey,

There should be wires for the back speakers already there. Look behing the carpet/trim on the right side looking at the boot. There should be a 4 pin connector somewhere.

Find that plug and wire the back speakers to it and then reconnect the front speakers where they have been cut.

qwerty132

Jeez you are kidding me! Really, so even the LXs had that? You said that it's a 4 pin connector? Is that 2 pins for each speaker?

qwerty132 WROTE:
Can you let us know how the Jaycar speakers fit in the front? I currently have them in the back but would rather them in the front.

Just looking at them I reckon they are waaayyy to deep to fit behind the standard trim.

Thanks

qwerty132

They are the Jaycar Venom 6.5" speakers, those the same as yours?
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...d2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

I thought they were 6" as on the site, but they are actually 6.5". I hope I can get them to fit with not too much fuss.

CMF_qwerty132

» CMF Member
Hey,

Mine are similar to these. Mine are the older ones that had the titanium tweeters. Part number cs2324

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productVie...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=609

Id be interested to hear the difference between the old and new.

Anyway, yours have a smaller magnet so they should be easier to fit.
I think there is about 58mm space in the doors. I think yours are 60mm deep.

HTH
Thanks
qwerty132

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
I guess I was lucky in that my car already came with custom sideboards ... no need for spacers in my case other than the cover holder itself however I'm not sure if the custom side boards are wider than factory - there was more than enough space for the 6.5" to fit in along with the crossovers.

Maybe it's just a matter of finding better mounting spot and removing the speaker grill?

I thoroughly recommend the Jaycar kevlar crossover ones as they sound fantastic and I was lucky to get a brand new set from ebay for cheap. Enough to convert me over to the Jaycar brand.

Was also playing around with notion of fitting 2 Venom 4" subs on the rear parcel shelf however I picked up a 6" bazooka amplified sub from the states and the combination is more than enough to keep me happy.

Back