Spark Plugs (what does it mean??)

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
Might have to excuse me if this is obvious - i havent changed spark plugs before! (never needed too).

but i decided to do soemthin other than watch tv and be a lazy sod all day sinse its nice out n had a go at servicing the car (dint bother with oil becuase ill need help getting the filter off).

to the point!

one of the plugs had oil around it - is this normal and if not is it serious?? and do the plugs indicate that my engine is running how it should be?

thank you!

sorry the images are poor. the spark plug with oil is the 2nd from left - should be noticeable :s also the other image of the bottom of each plug - they all look the same, black ring (lightly coked) and the tips just like ceramic-ish

can't really see the end plugs, and the pictures aren't great, but it should be a biscuit colour on the electrode if the fuel air mixture is good, those plugs look fine to me, though not seen the oily one :S

make sure you check the gaps before putting new plugs in, I had to adjust my new plugs today, only 1 of them was at 1.1mm the others were at 1.0mm.

Oil filter is easy to get off, drain the sump, get a big screwdriver and a big hammer, and hammer it through the side of the oil filter and out the other side, then use it as a lever to turn it, then you can do it with your hands

Alienfish360 said:
get a big screwdriver and a big hammer, and hammer it through the side of the oil filter and out the other side, then use it as a lever to turn it, then you can do it with your hands

you bloody genious phil i've been using brut force all these years...

every so often my and would slip and i end up headbutting the engine...

you've made my day...

The plugs are fine. Latex work gloves and some force has never failed yet when I have tried to remove an oil filter :)

Haha Alien....If you dont have the Special Tool or the Man power fwn you could allways try using a old Belt.....wrap it around tighten it up and Give it a right good Pull grr ......(ive actually done it my self :laugh: )

i doubt the belt one would work with some of the bastard filters ive encountered b4 but the screw driver one sounds good never tried myself tho n dont u guys ever roast ur hands from the heat of the things n dont tell me u take it off cold...u could get special filter sockets 2 but thats being fancy lol

Nah the Belt works...At work we have like a Screw thread and a Metal band sort of thing and you tighten it up over the filter and it grips well. One day (Someone Lost the tool) so i found a belt wrapped it around and the more you pull the more it grips :laugh: . Tadaa

Alien's screwdriver trick would be the better way (Y)

only problem with sticking a screwdriver thru it, ur going to drop oil everywhere :)

ive just changed my oil filter the other day, came off no bother, latex glove and alittle force :)

lol thanks for all the advice :) i might have a go at it next weekened aswell as some other stuff...

the plugs and fuel filter seem to hav made it abit quicker anyway which is nice, hadnt done the plugs in 20k tho i spose and the last filter was some cheapass ebay crap

i have my service coming up too :)

Going to ask my friend who works in a garage to do it and fit my k&n at the same time :D

Igloo

Back