Slight rattle at startup

Just after starting the ignition on my 1l 2000 K11 (usually when cold), it sometimes rattles for a second or two, then the noise goes away... does mean the timing chain is soon going to fly apart and behead me while the pistons crash into the open valves and the engine explodes, sending my headless body into space? That might be a nuisance... there's about 62k miles on it, which I figured wasn't really a whole lot. Any tips on diagnosing this?

Another minor noise weirdness: after getting the pads changed (but not the discs...) the right front wheel was making a friction noise once per turn... figured it might be an unworn section on the old disc brushing off the new pads and left it until a few days ago, when I just stuck my finger in and poked the caliper. After that the noise went away completely.... what's that about??? :laugh:

Oh and there's a third noise: the steering wheel groans a bit - had a look today and could see it's touching the plastic cowl on the right side but not on the left... so I'll have to tap it back a bit.

Damned noisy car :suspect:

i don't think its the timing chain. it might be something that is loose somewhere in the engine bay it will just rattle while the engine shakes on start-up, its very hard to pin point or find where exactly the noise will be coming from. brakes could be binding a bit.

i get the cold start rattle too. its normal.
basically there's no oil pressure when cold starting so the chain tensioner is slightly loose hence rattles for few secs.

once oil pressure has built up after few secs the pressure pushes the tensioner out against the chain taking up all slack, oil splashes through the chain and so the chain rattle silences.

check & regrease the caliper guide pins, sounds like they're seizing to one side

well i was talking about the whole lot from front to back but you could go around and check/tighten the whole heatshield to be on the safe side. good luck (Y)

The clamps that hold the one on the exhaust underneath usually corrode and break. You can secure them with hose clips (or chuck the lot away like I do)

And

The one on the manifold under the bonnet rusts away at the bottom. If it isn't too bad you can pull it out a bit. If that doesn't work chuck it away too!

my wife's one rattles as well at start up. i am very convinced it is the timing chain. my dad had a toyota once and the timing chain rattle of his toyota sounds exactly like the micra

It'l be the HS, you'l distinctively know if its the timing chain from what i understand.
It only lasts about 2 or 3 seconds when the engine is started cold - I've checked the shielding and it seems firm enough. Does the engine vibrate a lot (more than normal) at cold start, or something? Otherwise, Pollyp's oil pressure explanation above seems to make sense... :)

Hi.I do have the same problem,but when i have the rattle for 2-3sec on startup my oil light stays on two!I want to ask if your light goes off after starting but the rattle continues or it work`s like mine?Because the reason the of the rattle is the oil system is empty and it take`s time for the oil pump to fill it!But i think this is NOT normal,and there is a reason for the system to drain totally when staying for more time!I know that there is pressure bypass valve in the filter console it self!When you take off the filter it is under it!Have some one changed this valve to see if this is not the problem?Because i have not seen it but this is a simple valve with a spring and a steel ball that open`s at constant amount of pressure but if it is stuck open a little the oil can go back to the sump.That is why i want to see how this valve look`s like,and if some one have more information about it?

valve12.jpg

valve14.jpg

This is the valve i was talking about!

it sounds to me like you crank shells/bearings are worn sva :eek: have you checked your oil pressure with a gauge ?

Hmm, what frank said xD,

I mean erm, get someone to start it up while you look at your backbox, mine rattles if its a rough start, even when driving cold it will.

I don`t think so,about the bearings!Because if there ware worn the light will stay on when idling and even more when the engine is hot!But the light is on only on startup.If i stop the engine ether hot and start it again a few seconds after the stop the issue is gone.the light is off the very second i choke the starter!

The oil light is a pressure warning light.
It relates to the pressure the pump produces.
Worn shells would not cause low oil pressure on their own.
A worn pump, something stuck in it, no oil or a blocked filter are common causes of low oil pressure.
Most cars oil pressure sensors are set so low, by the time they come on the damage is done.

Low oil pressure can cause the shells to wear but just because the oil light isn't on does not mean the shells are ok.

With the risk to become boring,but i will continue the topic!
So if we say that the crank shells/bearings are worn like "Frank" said then what is the way to confirm this.If they are worn,i think that the pressure will be constantly low(correct me if I'm wrong).So if we worm the engine to normal operating temp. and connect a oil pressure gauge and measure the pressure at idle,and then measure it at middle speed then check the result with the factory date then we can say if they are worn or not.Because i think that the reason for the light is not "low pressure" but that the system is leaking back the oil in to the oil pan because off some reason maybe the valve i was talking about,or the oil pump it self is not working correctly, or last is that the filter in the oil pan on the intake of the pump is clogged.
If some one can be of any help for this problem or a way to test what exactly is the problem i would be very grateful if he share it with me!

Thanks in advance!

haynes says .8 to 1.2 bar at idle and 2.9 bar to 4.0 bar (1.0) or 3.7 bar (1.3) at 2k rpm
so if yours is below that, then it needs investigating eh (if it rattles then stops rattling when the light goes out, then my money would be on the crank bearings)

"Desty" do your light act like mine,or the light goes off but the rattle continues?In other word`s the oil light goes off on the very-second of cranking the starter,or stay`s on a little bit?

"Desty" do your light act like mine,or the light goes off but the rattle continues?In other word`s the oil light goes off on the very-second of cranking the starter,or stay`s on a little bit?
Hi sva86,

Like yours I think, after I release the key the rattle continues for about 3 seconds and the light stays on until just before the rattle stops. Just recorded a video demonstrating, I'll see if I can put it up soon (if it's not unusable due to it being pitch dark outside).

Actually it's about 2 seconds and the light goes off after maybe 1.5 seconds. Hard to tell from the awful quality video - will try again in daytime :D

try to change your old oil filter with other with elastick silicone extra valve arround holes inside filter,for keeping the engine oil inside when you start up your engine again

Back