Skidding!

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Havent had my K11 long, but have managed to lock the brakes and skid badly twice in the last week.:wow: The first time a suicidal cyclist shot out of a turning right in front of me without looking - def his lucky day as I stopped just on his wheel - and tonight a car pulled out and I skidded even though I was only doing 25mph. Had just come out of the car wash and the wheels were wet, so I'm kinda worried about what this car will do in the rain or at speed!

This may be a silly question, but is it usually the front or rear wheels that lock and cause the car to skid? Or is it more to do with the front/rear braking power being uneven? Front tyres are brand new, back ones a couple of years old. Would wider wheels help?

it's usually the fronts that lock up first. wider tyres would help
i presume your new tyres are standard with, either 155 or 165? it could even be your choice in tyres causing it to skid prematurely. cheap tyres won't be as good as a better branded tyre

Yeah tyres are standard 13". Front tyres are Vredestein T-Track, recommended by garage as being one of the best all-rounders, and improved the handling 200%. The back ones are ATS ones which cost half the price!

I use budget tires, and on some roads in the wet i need to take extra care when cornering.
Also when im pulling off from juntions otherwise it wheel spins alot and it ends up making me look like a chav

you will lock your wheels if you just anchor the brake. You'd have learnt this on the test during "Emergency Stop" unless you learnt in a car with ABS

you will lock your wheels if you just anchor the brake
Yes I'm probably doing that! I did learn in cars with ABS, and the only thing I was taught about emergency stops was to look in the mirror first. My K10 with the same tyres on never skidded, but maybe that was just because the brakes werent so good. Alloys would be nice, but am skint at mo!

if you have wider summer tyres in the wet, doesnt this make things worse? or am i thinking about puddles - because you've got more tyre surface area on the wet road making it easier to skid.

My 185/55/14 toyo's are great in the summer, but they seem to be just as bad as anything else at the moment in the damp / wet conditions. Just drive a little slower to give yourself a little more time to judge suituations & reduce the necessary breaking distance :)

check the brakes I say... my one was doing it because my rear cylinder was leaking so the inhibitor shut off the back brakes... and it was not just a skid but the car was being pushed forward when braking.. worth checking the shoes and discs/pads... if the pads are old or worn then replace them.. you did say you have had it for a while now so it is hard to tell but it may have been neglected... I found it made all the difference... when I changed pads/shoes... eventhough the pads were 3 years old with some life left they had this greasey film on top and were not biting as good as they should... and now I am going to add Almera Brakes on the front...

Yes I'm probably doing that! I did learn in cars with ABS, and the only thing I was taught about emergency stops was to look in the mirror first. My K10 with the same tyres on never skidded, but maybe that was just because the brakes werent so good. Alloys would be nice, but am skint at mo!

lol an emergency stop is the only time when you DON'T have to check you're mirrors... cos there is not enough time to check them... it sounds like you're being a bit heavy on the brake... mine only skid when i have to stop REALLY quicky... just try to keep your distance because there are alot of muppets out there.....

My car was the same, the slightest corner will start giving out, stuck on some 15's and boom, handles like a dream :D

buy alloys roughly 195/40/R15 and they'll not b much skidding :sleepy:

thats ture until you uprate to the pulsar brakes.
but when you're used to them you can suspend people on the seat belt.
although when braking with them always looking in the mirror.

it sounds like you're being a bit heavy on the brake
Probably, as I'm so used to driving the K10, which you had to stamp on. I could do with taking this one out on a private road (where are they eh?!) and testing out its limitations - not many opportunities for this in Bristol city centre. Supposed to be driving to Worcester tomorrow, first time at night on the motorway and I'm cacking it!

Probably, as I'm so used to driving the K10, which you had to stamp on. I could do with taking this one out on a private road (where are they eh?!) and testing out its limitations - not many opportunities for this in Bristol city centre. Supposed to be driving to Worcester tomorrow, first time at night on the motorway and I'm cacking it!

come down this way in bath, loads of "private tracks" ;)

Back