Brake pads wearing?

Slightly worried about my car.

Its done so far 11114 miles in it's life, a 52 plate Nissan Micra K11c.

In July it passed its MOT fine after being stored for 8 months untouched as I had now passed my driving test and could drive properly. I had to buy a new battery for it as it had wore out that much.
It needed new spark plugs, new oil, and some new water, and it got a full service (or apparently did)

It's been driving fine since then, but today I noticed how bad the breaks have gotten.
I was doing 30-40 today, and had to break a few times because of traffic. Wasn't exactly harsh breaking, as I was letting the engine slow, so I was reaching around 15-20mph with minimal breaking and then breaking slightly harder to stop for the traffic/lights

So anyway, I was braking, but the car wasn't slowing as much as it used to, even at the slower speeds. It was getting to the point where I had to push the break pedal down fully for it to stop before I would ram into the car in front. A few times, I was pretty damn close to the car in front, and I usually wouldn't get this close.

It was starting to rain, but even then, I've never had the brakes ever fault like that.

Could it be I've worn the break pads out even if they would have been checked in July? Or maybe they passed even though I doubt they've been changed in the 9 years the car has been around?

Aye I think I'm going to pick up a Haynes manual. I know nothing about the internals really in cars but I'm certainly going to learn.

The car was braking, but not as fast as I would have liked. It only started doing that today also. Before then as far as I know, it's been fine.

Thanks for the replies :)

It's weird. Been driving fine with the brakes today... They had an off day? Maybe I was forcing the brakes too hard yesterday, and with the slight rain. Maybe it was too much for them? Too much heat build up maybe, after stopping from 70 pretty fast to stop for a junction from the motorway?

I really wish I had got the image at 11111 miles, haha. Its done something like 11122 now :(

Back