really weird noise coming from front of car unsure if springs?

k11_whore

Steve :)
As above at speeds from 0-30mph turning or going in straight line over bumps there's weird noise which is like knocking when on full lock and like a knocking rattle when going or braking on uneven roads, had a look at springs and where top of the springs sit it there's rubber casing sittin on the springs against the plate and is slightly hanging off could it just be that causing he noise? Thanks in advance

I had a knocking / rattling sound coming from the back of my car whenever it was moving, you could like hear every slight crease in the road, at first I thought it was something in the boot but with nothing in there the problem was still happening. It turned out it was the torsion linkage on the drivers side, it had broken and was hanging really loose causing the knocking / rattling sound.

I don't know wether there's anything like that at the front of the car but if there is that could be the culprit?

Thanks, I don't know I'm all confused lol spoke to my dad last night cause he knows abit bout cars, he reckons tie rods or something like that? Do k11s have them cause he's had cars without them, I heard same noise at back of car but was my parcel shelf rattling haha if only front was that simple

Could be a number of things, drop links if your car has them or maybe bottom arms, best bet is to go to a fast fit type place and they usually do steering and suspention checks for free, wether you decide to get the car fixed there is up to you lol, much easier to check with the car up in the air.

I get this at low speeds too. I've got Apexi 60mm lowering springs that I've lopped a coil off on each corner, so it's like 90mm lower I think? But I get a creaking/knocking noise from the front of the car at low speeds as well, particularly when parking or just turning, similar to yours.

Basically, because the suspension struts are measured out to take a certain length of spring as standard, when you put lowering springs on, they won't fit quite snuggly in the struts. This is especially evident where you've got the slight lip on the top and bottom plates - the standard spring sits in snuggly without moving, but with lowering springs in, they move around slightly becuase they're too short to reach the lips. This is where the knocking noise comes from. And my car recently came back from a service and MOT (with new front discs and calipers, so would have had a good view of the suspension to notice if anything was broken), so it couldn't possibly be anything else.

Well I aint got lowering springs so couldn't be that unless factory ones are screwed, and also noticed my steeriing wheel goes really light when it happens so now I'm thinkin driveshaft bearings being gone? Gona have a look online and find a place to do a check near me, thanks for all your help and if any1 has got like definate answer please post :) I shall let you know what was problem, lad viewed it today as up for sale and was gona buy it there n then till he test drove it grrrr

Well fiinally got hold of kwik fit, gona do a check at 3 today and hopefully diagnose the problem :) if I found out what it is I shall let you all know if you have same problems in future :D update soon

Got there early and kwik fit guy drove to hear the noise, got it on lift and was my drivers side trackend but i could hear on both sides and said other side is fine, puzzled, £80 for one or do both for £130 is that expsensive dnt think tht included labour?

Got there early and kwik fit guy drove to hear the noise, got it on lift and was my drivers side trackend but i could hear on both sides and said other side is fine, puzzled, £80 for one or do both for £130 is that expsensive dnt think tht included labour?

£80 for a trackrod end fitted !! :eek:

He didn't say if was with tracking he just rang up for part and said £80 for one or £130 for both, so I don't know if tht inclued tracking and labour? Are they easy to fit if I buy parts myself and fit them then get somewhere to track them? And cheaper?

He didn't say if was with tracking he just rang up for part and said £80 for one or £130 for both, so I don't know if tht inclued tracking and labour? Are they easy to fit if I buy parts myself and fit them then get somewhere to track them? And cheaper?

they can be awkward to separate sometimes, you,re best to take it to an independent garage if you,re not confident, and get them to fit one first then roadtest it, then re-track it if its cured (£10 ish for the t/r/e)
bottom balljoints tend to rattle quite bad when worn also

Just rang them to find out, and was £130 for both sides includin tracking n fittin and vat on top so£130 all in? Good or bad?

if you pass the kwick fit guy again tell him thanks for the holiday tip,and for £130 you've decide to take a holiday to the uk
ferry cost,petrol,food,and a quick stop at the doc's is what that should buy you
track rod end splitter costs £10 i think
is this a mini meet in the making?:grinning:

Just got a quote if I supplied the track rod ends wouild cost me £40 for fittin n alignment but if they supplied £150 :eek: got a place booked tomoro for 2nd opinion to make sure that it is them causing the problem and if anything been missed,

Well just got back from other garage and they said same problem and to fix it. Would cost me £100, so decided I'm gona buy the track rod ends myself, and get them fitted for 40 and tracking, so all together 70 odd quid :( thanks for all the help :) hope this helps other members with same problem :)

Back