she's alive! and a question on getting a garage to fit my carb!

bombz4

Ex. Club Member
its so nice to hear your car idle after being quiet for so long! ive never seen so much oil smoke before in my life!:p after pretty much a full re-build it works(first time)! the rear lights are in full working order, the engine idles sweet as a nut! even with the new cam (i was slightly worried it wouldnt idle very well). Even the radio works! for the first time since ive had the car! im so excited its been off road for ages now and finally its almost ready to go back on the road!

also ive now got a new inlet manifold to take my su carb (cheers pietro and bob), the problem is father as a mechanic, now wants this engine to last forever and was v.much not impressed with the piper camshaft. So i havent told him about the new carb, and i have no experiance setting up a carb etc. does anyone know how much it would cost me to take this to a garge and get it fitted and set up? ive never paid a garage price in my life so dot have a clue although its not a hard thing to do and shouldnt take long also my car already has fitted a manual choke so this just needs to be set to the other carb.
sorry its a long'un cheers bomb

well done bombz on getting it running, my fathers a ex mechanic aswell and wasnt impressed when i told him i brought a 4-2-1 system off mark but he admits now that it is nice, i recommend you tell him about the carb so he doesnt get annoyed with you, he probably seem a bit moody at first but when you take him out in the car and he see's how much faster it goes he will soon be happy and say well done

getting the carb fitted shouldnt take to long i dont know how long it takes to setup a su carb but the standard k10 ones are easy to setup so dont take to long, also you might find it better to get the carb setup on a rolling road but im sure bob can give you more information

i did wonder about a rolling road but thought it was a little bit of a waste if i dont have an exhaust manifold to go with it, i was thinking if i could get it setup to run my car for a few months and when i have the funds i can get a exhaust manifold and rolling roaded! also will any decent garage do this sort of thing?
Also he wont be impressed with the speed! im the son that managed to put himself over a car after de-restricting his mo-ped! then writing off a 1.0l micra, he doesnt trust me at all!

i thought you had a exhaust sorry bombz, then you could just get any garage to set the co on the carb if its the same idea as the standard k10 ones probably best to wait for bob to come online as he uses su carbs all the time

Bombz - get Bobsp16 to fit the carb, he knows these cars inside out! Did an engine swap in 3 hours! Call him as least for expert advice!

wow! i live in treforest, Pontypridd (not far from cardiff). it one hell of a drive! especially as im running the engine in still! its gonna have an mot next weekend, and il put a few miles on it see if any oil is burning etc but i would appreciate the help as my dad refuses to help me! and it would be cheaper than a garage! it wont be for a couple of weeks atleast but i would be gratefull! pm me if you can help. cheers bomb

here my post code to see how far iam away PE12 6QE anyway by the time youve got to mine it will be run in..lol

a mere 220.1 miles!:p thats going to be a long drive! especially going slow for the engine! Ah well mad mission! your way some time! il get back to you when shes MOT'd and sort when your free.

if its to far i do no a man near cardiff thats got a rolling road and hes good to with SU carbs ring tommy william at willfield autos 01443 740798

ye will do, i know you cant give me an exact quote but roughly how much am i gunna be spending on this? its gunna cost me a fair wack the rolling road the fitting and the tweaking! im feeling quite poor just got my student loan and its barely paid off my overdraft!!! also do you know how much an exhaust manifold would cost to get made up? will be looking to get this done in the new year too.

Back