Seeking advice

Hi there!

This is maybe a little unusual...
My mate and I are going to take part in the Mongol Rally this summer. Basically, the aim is to drive from London to the capital of Mongolia, in a car wholly unsuitable.
We are very much looking at getting an old micra - as apparently micras make it!

The simpler and cheaper the better for us - our thoughts are sub 100k on the clock and preferably one of the square looking models (around 1987 or so).
As you can tell, we know very very little so any advice or pointers anyone could offer will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Lozza

Our budget is £500 tops. Hoping to beg bits from scrap yards after we buy the thing to make any improvements if possible, so preferably a bit less.
Any tips on where may be a good place to buy from - or just the usual ebay/gumtree?

You're better off with the K11 there's more about so parts are cheaper and readily available
K10s are getting rarer by the day and of course that reflects in the price of parts

...I'd also recommend getting a basic model so there's less to go wrong and have to fix at the side of some dusty Kazakh road....at night...

Exactly our thoughts Magpie! Especially given our extensive mechanical expertise...
Any tips on what are the most basic? We want 1ltr, manual. Are there any k11's without power steering?
Are there any parts that are notorious for being difficult?

We are pretty much clueless so any info./idea are appreciated!

Mine, for example, is a 2001 Micra Vibe...1ltr, manual steering, windyuppy windows, no central locking, wheel at each corner....basic as...cost me £650 with 44k on the clock....

Any lx or similar with black bumpers are usually low spec cars

There are a few throttle body modifications recommended beforehand

Back