1999 Micra clutch advice

Firstly, Hi, everyone ...just joined and this is the very first post so please be kind if I am posting in the wrong place etc.

Question. I have just purchased a 1.0L Equation for my son. The clutch is knackered (very heavy, stiff operation at 72000 miles so it is due to be changed anyway) and I am not looking forward to doing the job in the weather we are having at the mo.lol!!

When I replace the clutch I will obviously clean up the inside of the bell housing but but do I put anything onto the splines of the gearbox first motion shaft (grease or copperease)or do I just leave it very clean? I jhave seen a few articles that say a small amount of grease is advisable but a few more that say leave it clean. Advice from you wise persons will help greatly

thx

Tom

welcome to the forum, i assume your micra is a k11 bubble shape from the name, so really this should be in the k11 section but its not a big problem.

i would personally put a bit of grease on the splines, the clutch plate will move up and down the splines slightly, and anywhere where you have two metal parts moving against each other you should always have grease.

but don't put so much on there that the first time the engine turns over it throws all the grease into the pressure plate, otherwise you will probably have to do the clutch again after it burns out.

TheSam and NeX........many thanks for your welcome and thanks for the advice. It does seem logical to put a little bit of lubricant on the splines but I was concerned it might block the movement of the clutch plate.

Many thanks again and both of you have a Happy New Year
Tom

Leave the collar that the release bearing slides on clean n dry cos otherwise dust will cling to the grease n make the mechanism very stiff n wear out fast

1999 clutch advice - update

This is just an update posting and a further thanks to those offering advice re this thread..

We have now successfully changed the cluth, the cover plate and rel;ease bearing - all of them were still working but definitely on their last legs. The job was quite satisfying and straight forward despite the unbelievably awful English weather. The only difficulty was that the driver's side cv joint had decided to 'weld' itself into the stub axle and we only just managed to get it out on the workbench. We managed to replace it at a cost of £11.90 plus postage!! so all in all he now has a nice reliable little engine and drive train - excellent

Good luck to all of you and Happy New Year etc.

Back