I think we just bought a Micra... for some off road stuff.

Hi everyone!

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm dude from Los Angeles California, who with a buddy decided to enter the Mongol Rally (a rally from London to and through Mongolia). The requirements for the car were simple, must be cheap, must be under 1L engine. Fast forward couple of drinking sessions, and my buddy is in London buying a car.

Today he informs, me that This Is Sofa Kingdom! (our official team name, official page coming soon) has obtained a car. And it's a Nissan Micra 1.0 16v S CVT (I got no idea what any of those numbers mean). So I guess she will be our vessel on this... journey.

And here she is in all it's greenness

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

I'm also informed that the car suspension is crap, and alternator belt has to be replaced as it looks pretty warn out. And worst of all, driver side window don't work well.

So I hurried online to find a bunch bunch of people who know about the car, the parts market, etc and to brag about what we be doing.

I'll be trying to figure out how to turn her into and off road mini beast, and as I have very little experience with car tinkering, this will get interesting...

So far my plans include but are severely limited by a budget:
- Stiffer suspension that can maybe raise the car a bit. (is that possible on this car for cheap)
- Bolted metal under carriage, to protect the belly from the sharp stuff coming from belowe
- Alternator belt replacement
- Roof rack

Really want to get upgrades that are not currently falling into a must.
- Fixing the window mechanism (I hear that can get expensive)
- Lights
- Snorkeler (cause there is a chance we might have to cross some rivers (aka roads in Mongolia)
- Other bits people suggest get for this

I guess that wraps it up for now, looking forward to talking with ya, learning with ya, and some fun, Cheers.

Back