Scrapyard 1.3

Bought this 1.3 to rebuild and, possibly, tweak a little this winter. What can I get for, say, £1000? Cams, head work, bored out a little, 1.0 face lift flywheel, remapping, yada yada. Really don't want to sweat out emissions test at MOT time and neither do I want the exhaust note to drown out the speakers. But, understand the need to let them breath a little. All advice taken seriously.

S

Sorry, should have started new thread. Will someone please move it if necessary.

S

Attachments

• IMG_0998_1.jpg
    IMG_0998_1.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 189
right, strip it down to bare block.... get it sand blasted so its clean....

have the head ported and polished, (or better still buy a rally head from matt humphries with cams allready installed)

light weight flywheel

1600 injectors and throttle body

janspeed competition stainless manifold and cat back system (not too loud)

nismo engine mounts, (makes a huge amount of difference)

de-burr the inlet manifold,

race battery under seat,

ED's Remap of standard ECU

although that lot would probs cost about £2k.... there abouts.

just realised.... thats what i have allready done..lol

Brought the lump home this morning. Removed the clutch, flywheel and as much as I could before trying to lift it out of the boot (I didn't put it in). Managed okay but I'm sure I strained something in the process. Planned to put it aside for a few days before tearing into it but couldn't restrain myself.
I'd forgotten how much pleasure was to be gained by just dismantling a car engine and poking around in the innards.

This one had heavily carboned plugs but otherwise seemed okay. Turned over quite easily with a big socket and 3/8ths drive rachet on the crank pully. Tomorrow the head comes off and I get a look at the pistons and cylinder walls. Oh joy!

Next step will be to remove the crank, etc. and have the block cleaned and bead(?) blasted, then bored out and cross hatched honed. Anyone know how much these blocks can be safely bored out and the best pistons to buy?
Can the compression be raised?

After that we'll see how it goes with the cams, etc.

S

Attachments

• IMG_1007_1.jpg
    IMG_1007_1.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1010_1.jpg
    IMG_1010_1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1013_1.jpg
    IMG_1013_1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 170
there hasnt, to my knowledge, ever been a succesfull boring of a micra engine...

but i could be wrong..

the compression ratio can be raised in loads of different ways,

flat top pocketetd pistons, machined head, thinner head gasket, chaning in "squash" of the combustion chamber.. etc etc..

have fun...lol

Back