Rythmic wobble from near-side rear

I have a rythmic wobble that can be felt at low speed. It disapears above say 10 mph but at lower speeds I can feel a sideways / bump sensation on flat roads. I have been feeling something amiss when hitting a bump at speed too. I did think it was the panhard rod in action so dismissed it but now feel there might be somthing amiss with a wheel. There is no sound, but there is a squirming when the rear NS wheel is loaded when cornering.

It feels as if there is a bulge in the NS rear tyre, but nothing is to be seen..........a mystery!

Any ideas?

Loose wheel nuts? Sounds like you need to stop driving it and have a god look. Jack it up, check for play in the wheel. The whip the wheel off and check it over. The check the links to the axle and the axle itself. Just look for anything that doesn't look right.

A sensitive derriere

I have jacked up the rear ns wheel and looked at it in bright light and.......the tread is distorted over a 10% sector of the circumference. The cords must be breaking up. I have had bulges in the sidewalls before now(one burst like a gunshot just as the fitter was about to change it!), but never the tread. That is one of the disadvantages of taking over an old car and not knowing the history.

I am surprised that such a relatively small deviation (10mm) gives such a poor ride at low speed, but give thanks that it did not fail completely at speed.

Back