wobble through the steering wheel of my 2001 K11 1.0s

CMF_frankieboy

» CMF Member
i have a micra K11 1.0s (2001 model), & just lately i`m getting a wobble through the steering wheel. it feels as if there`s a slight buckle in one of the front wheels, although i cant say for sure. the wobble becomes noticable at around 10/15 mph slowly building in intensity upto 35/40 mph. at speeds above this it appears to get a lot weaker.
i would really appreciate any help that any of you could give me on this as i love my micra :) . i will be doing any work necessary myself
with thanks,
Frank

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
I would get a wheel alignment and balance.

check the tie rod ends and other steering/suspension mounts etc. might have a worn out bush etc.

Pull the steering wheel cover off and tighten that nut holding the wheel on too just in case.

Is it more prevalent under braking?
If so you might have worn brake drums/discs

CMF_frankieboy

» CMF Member
the wobble isnt any more noticable under braking or acceleration, & there isnt any play in the steering at all. the braking is spot on & there doesnt appear to be a problem with the tracking in any way.

how do i get to the nut holding the steering wheel to the steering column ? the airbag is in the way :)

the only other thing i`ve noticed is this:- the road outside my house had a rough concrete surface (blame my local council for that hehehe), 7 as i coast over it at around 5/10 mph there is a knocking noise coming from underneath the car on the drivers side at the front

CMF_frankieboy

» CMF Member
just had the front of my K11 up on the jacks, checked all relevant things you mentioned Greo & everything`s as it should be - no free play in anything (apart from passenger side front wheel nuts, i had to tighten them by a quarter turn - oops lol)

the knocking noise i mentioned too, that may be a miniscule amount of free play in the front brake caliper drivers side - ant free play there is negligable though

the only other thing i cal think of regarding the wobble is wheel balance - i`ll post any future findings on this feed

thankyou so much for your help

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
rotate your tyres front to back an back to front and see if it makes any difference, while your doin it check for bubbles or any imperfections in ur tyres and spin your rims an look for buckled rims, next step would be wheel balancing

as far as wheel aligning is concerned with k11s there is no camber or toe adjustment in the rear, no castor or camber adjustment in the front, all you have is front toe therefore unless your front tyres are wearin uneven dont worry about alignment, you dont get much for your money

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
got the same prob on mine , only does it when accelerating , but of lately has gone away , colder weather ??? , nothing worn or broken can be found , one thing I did find out lately was the tyre pressure gauge was well out thanks to the tyre valve connection to pump leaking .
its still doing a slight wobble at times but has to be known its there .

Back