Rusty outer sills MOT fail

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
001 Nearside rear (outer sill) Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded [5.2.6]

002 Offisde rear (outer sill) Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded [5.2.6]

Just got my car back from the MOT. I was expecting it to fail but not on that. The guy said it needs welding. I was thinking it just needed some good filler skills and a bit of anti-rust. Anybody else had experience of this? I'm getting the feeling it's a common pain in backside with K10's. Pictures to follow...

Ok well I had no idea it was this bad. The MOT guy has poked all the rusty metal through so there are actually massive holes there now where there were none before! Looking at those pictures gives me the same feeling as seeing people with rotting teeth. Argh!!! So I'm really really really hoping that as bad as it looks, it can be welded and sorted out. Anybody know why the K10 is so prone to rust here? wondering if there is anything to do when it gets fixed to avoid it in the future like drilling drainage holes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Its more about stopping the water getting in there in the first place tbh. on the k11 there are a few ways it gets in (well done nissan :glare: )

Anyway, if you want a quote for the welding work and can get the car to me (im in brighton) then chuck me a PM...

I've seen worst than that, and if the job isn't done right then it'll need doing every year. But then you end up with layer upon layer of patches on the cills, which is why i replaced the complete cills on my k10 and filled them with waxoyl. Fitting a complete cill and rebuilding part of the floorpan that it attached to cost me only £150, so it's worth considering.

The k10 and 11 cills are used for drainage, there are small rubber hoses that channel water down from the sunroof for example, and what tends to happen it that the drain holes in the cills get blocked, the water gets trapped in there and the cills rot. It's good practice to clean out the drain holes every few months with a small peice of wire to keep the cills dry.

Just a note to cover myself; don't waxoyl your cills if you know/think that you will need to have them welded again, waxoyl is highly flamable.

The k10 and 11 cills are used for drainage, there are small rubber hoses that channel water down from the sunroof for example, and what tends to happen it that the drain holes in the cills get blocked, the water gets trapped in there and the cills rot. It's good practice to clean out the drain holes every few months with a small peice of wire to keep the cills dry.
I re-routed the drain pipes so that they (as a good drain pipe should) drain to outside the car.

Yep will do. Prob gotta wait until after the weekend but it's being kept in a garage. The KwikFit guy said it needed more paid on it.

The best thing to do with the weep holes on sills, is to hammer a screwdriver or equivalent object in to make a proper drain hole.Then depending on access,bore a hole in the inner back arch,where the sill tunnel is and pop a rubber grommet in.That's what i did with the Hilux.(Y)

Back