Failed MOT, lots of welding to be done - worth it?

Hey guys,

It's been an absolute age since I've posted, but as I remember you all so fondly I wanted to seek some advice.
I've just taken the Vibe (K11) to its MOT, its failed majorly on corrosion. (not sure how much is due to the garage being cheeky).
Here's the list of fails:
Offside (inner sill) Suspension mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
Nearside (inner sill) Suspension mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
Nearside (outer sill) Suspension mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
Offside rear (floor pan) Suspension mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
Offside rear (inner pipe to load sensing valve) Brake pipe excessively corroded

The quote for the welding alone is £200. (unsure if that's good value or not, doesn't seem too bad for the amount of metalwork)

My hunch is that the rust is well and truly set in, I've had the seatbelt anchor sills welded before. And I suspect by next year I'll have even more welding to do.

What I'm thinking of doing is to get the welding done then sell the car in the next 6 months. But I wanted to ask you guys if its worth it? and what are my best options?

Thanks for any suggestions

If rust is reoccuring it's probable that the welder who did it before did a rush job and didn't cut out and treat all the rust at the same time. Needs to be done properly or it'll actually make things worse

The suspension mounting hasn't been welded before (at least not since I've owned it for the last 4 years) although it could have spread I guess. But you are right ofc.

Hey guys,

It's been an absolute age since I've posted, but as I remember you all so fondly I wanted to seek some advice.
I've just taken the Vibe (K11) to its MOT, its failed majorly on corrosion. (not sure how much is due to the garage being cheeky).
Here's the list of fails:
Offside (inner sill) Suspension mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
Nearside (inner sill) Suspension mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
Nearside (outer sill) Suspension mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
Offside rear (floor pan) Suspension mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded
Offside rear (inner pipe to load sensing valve) Brake pipe excessively corroded

The quote for the welding alone is £200. (unsure if that's good value or not, doesn't seem too bad for the amount of metalwork)

My hunch is that the rust is well and truly set in, I've had the seatbelt anchor sills welded before. And I suspect by next year I'll have even more welding to do.

What I'm thinking of doing is to get the welding done then sell the car in the next 6 months. But I wanted to ask you guys if its worth it? and what are my best options?

Thanks for any suggestions

Took my car for its MOT last week too, it failed on the exact things as yours, both inner and outer sills were corroded, you can pick out the sills like it was a biscuit, the underneath of the car is totally rotted out, was quoted £250 for the welding alone, to to mention the cost of retest. The car isn't worth repairing, but didn't feel like selling it due to it being good in looks. Check out my last pics in the blog..

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/micras-1-0l-sport.57330/

What I done was listed it for sale as MOT failure online and sold it for 400 quid, sold on the same day as listing advert :D bought another micra k11 with very low mileage for the same amount

Glad you found someone to buy it, think you got lucky there :p

I'm going to go ahead and get the wielding done then try and sell in a few months. Cheers for the info.

Back