running cool

Hi I'm a new kid on the block..
Just bought a micra for my daughter it's all ok apart from
It seems to take a while for engine temp to warm up ?
Warms up quicker while standing at tick over as it would do .
But driving it takes a few miles before temp gauge starts to move !!
Any tips before I check thermostat?
Regards
Don

Thanks Frank
So when you say you fitted a blind was that just some cardboard blocking some of the rad up ? And which hose did you clamp ?
And do you find it ok to run car like that then with know problems then ?
Regards
Don
Ps it takes a few miles for the gauge to start to move

Last edited:
the vid that i linked shows the hose don, and the blind is the full size of the rad (shown lower down the page)

imo sounds like the thermostats stuck open and any extra airflow through the rad on the move is overcooling the coolant, slowing warmup.
also during cold start driving, keep the heater dial cold so the engine heats up asap, then u can use the heater..

imo sounds like the thermostats stuck open and any extra airflow through the rad on the move is overcooling the coolant, slowing warmup.
also during cold start driving, keep the heater dial cold so the engine heats up asap, then u can use the heater..
Thanks
I will try that too
Don

I changed my thermostat yesterday. It was taking a while to warm up like yours and the once hot the needle would drop down to 1/3 from 1/2.
I was expecting to find the thermostat stuck open but it wasn't ??? New one has been fitted and it does seem to have fixed the problem :) need to take it for a proper drive out just to be sure tho

^ cruise for afew miles to warm it up fully so the thermostat has opened and allowed any bubbles to escape up to the top of rad. then once it's cooled, remove cap n check if it's brimmed, top up if needed, fit cap, repeat test till the rad stays brimmed and there's no air gap.

I changed my thermostat yesterday. It was taking a while to warm up like yours and the once hot the needle would drop down to 1/3 from 1/2.
I was expecting to find the thermostat stuck open but it wasn't ??? New one has been fitted and it does seem to have fixed the problem :) need to take it for a proper drive out just to be sure tho
Thanks
For the tips
Don

^ cruise for afew miles to warm it up fully so the thermostat has opened and allowed any bubbles to escape up to the top of rad. then once it's cooled, remove cap n check if it's brimmed, top up if needed, fit cap, repeat test till the rad stays brimmed and there's no air gap.
Thanks I will try that as well
Don

Back