Road Rallying

Im about to take my first steps into road rallying. I have chosen to use my pre coil facelift as my basis. I have bought a 1.3 dizzy engine to go in. Anyone got any advice on good parts and worth while modifications. Obviously being new to the sport I don't wanna spend a ton of money. But I will spend what it takes if you catch my drift.

Naturally aspirated, 2 wheel drive. There are also limitations on the spot light size, there are capacity regs but no need to worry about those.
I'm mainly interested in handling improvements, but i dont wanna sacrifice too much of my ride height.

polybushes ? http://www.strongflex.eu/en/
rear arms ? http://www.hardrace.com/products.asp?strClass1=7&strClass2=15

6294.jpg

Road rallying is very different to stage rally.
A road rally is for standard cars essentially.
Maximum spotlight size is 8inch iirc and you're only allowed 4 forward facing lights. (2 headlights 2 spotlights) So if you've got fog lights they need to be 'disabled' and a black X over the lens

Unfortunately without spending a wad of money you won't get a good high ride height with good handling. You'll need coilovers (£150-£200) and the correct spring rates (£25 x 4)

Normally you'd go on a weight saving crusade to make it quicker... don't you're not permitted to. Door cards, carpet, back seats and roof lining must remain. Bucket seats and harnesses are permitted

My advice would be to leave it standard for your first few rallies and find out where your issues are. What you like and don't like

You'll need a few bits n bobs too as essentials to carry around with you like oil, water and cable ties etc etc

Though if you insist on modifications;
- Sump guard
- Bucket seats and harnesses
- Braided brake pipes
They're always my first 3

Ours started as Road rally car - see the blog www.mattendean.co.uk for info, h701's advice is spot on - although you can remove a lot of weight and still be road rally legal..... Our car now is still road rally legal as some events we do (Targa's) need it to be this spec.

Only other things i would add to the list are :-

Suspension (no coilovers at the back though, regs won't allow it!), 2nd thing to spend money on after a sump guard (which you can home make) and decent tyres.
Pads i find EBC Ultimax great and at ~£20 a set good value.
Roll cage

From what I've read, I'm no expert on road rallies however, you can strip all sound deadening and then just reattach the carpet.
As long as 'panels' remain then yeah :)
Ie door cards and roof lining etc
Bigger engines ARE allowed aren't they? ;)
Not really but it has been known :p has to remain a production car.. usually as long as it has a tax disc you're ok
My GA passes no issue :)

I'm assuming that's just K11s and their OE setup?
As K10s are coil over design as standard.. always passed scrutineering with mine :)

Yup, it's the separate spring and damper configuration that must remain. All the above is good advice, kep it simple (and reliable) to start with then see where you think it needs improvement.

Back