Road noise

1999 1.3 gx 5 door auto

Picks up a lot of road noise when at cruising speeds on dual carriageway or motorway, is there a way to damp this?

Funny you should mention this, i was going to go to B&Q 2mora to see what i could find in the way of insulation to cut down on cruising noise, the micra is generally quiet good though for sound damping esp. compared to say a cinquecento.

This came about as i just spent all day cleaning the interior of my 1.4 twister, ripped the carpet out and washed the seats like. Trying to get rid of the smell of smoke from the grotty previous owner but now its done im considering lining under the carpet before putting it back in to make it that bit quieter.

Also gonna line the doors (not obstructing the windows) and behind every plastic panel and nook n cranny with loft insulation or summit :) Hopefully this wont cost too much, if so i'll just nick some out the loft!

Thanks

I just read that there is a cheaper product used by roofing contractors called “Ice Guard” which has an adhesive backing and is also good for sound damping. Anyone tried it?

It's one of the drawbacks of having a small car, they all produce road noise, extra thick sound deadening material that you get in larger or prestige type cars weighs a lot, manufacturers put less effective material in their small cars to save weight, they aren't really meant for a lot of motorway miles anyhow, mainly town work where road noise is less intrusive.

I don't normally do many motorway miles at all, but might have to do more over the spring and summer.

Don't want to turn up the stereo lol
fighting noise with noise gets tiring - I like to chill at a lower volume.

I'd have to go out and look for the tyre make, and as it is dark and freezing at the mo' I'll wait until tomorrow :laugh:

What tyres do you recommend?

arow

its more the tread pattern than the make of tyre, i had some blocky type ones on the rear of my previous car and the tyre roar was deafening
its not a wheelbearing hum is it ?

No its not bearing noise, My previous cars have mainly been much larger cruisers so I guess I'm used to a higher degree of soundproofing.

Overall I really like my Micra, but the wheels and tyres look like small insubstantial toys to me lol :grinning:

The tyres aren't blocky - normal bridgestone's
Though there is an odd firestone on the front with a similar pattern, Wear is even around all four with a fair bit of tread above the limit.

i never had any complaints from firestones or bridgestones, continentals have terrible road noise but generaly premium brands are very good with low road noise.

Got some loft insulation yesterday, £7.50 down from £15ish from B&Q, just lined it today, its made a big difference, less whirring from the wheels as i lined those two bits of carpet that go over the rear arches too.

Image021.jpg

Crap pic but you can see the white wadding.

Also lined the boot, spare wheel well, underneath the rear seats and the main carpet, prob do doors at weekend. 6be9s sound deeper too now yo.

Yeah think so, i glanced at the label then chucked it :blush: The roll is well chunky so i ripped it into 5 or 6 layers to line.

Back