Noise

What are the symptoms of a wheel bearing "going" ?
There is a droning/vibration that can be felt right throughout the car even through the steering wheel!!! It is not constant, and seems to be worse when there is more people (weight) in the car. I cant pinpoint whether its coming from the front or rear, i have jacked it up and there are no signs of play or noise from any of the wheels!! Any ideas??
Thanks.
Maximus.

is it worse:
at speed?
accelerating/braking?
going round corners (if so right or left hand bends)?
if you arnt in gear does it still make the noise? is so, what about when you put the clutch down?
when not moving?

maximus

could be f/wheel bearing ?
if you jack it up and hold the leg while you spin the wheel, you would feel the vibration through your hand ( even if there,s no play )

Thanks noddie / frank
just been reading through a few old posts on here, and it seems that it could also be the "Thrust bearing" thats making the noise!!!
I wont be able to check anything now until the weekend when i have the time.
Maximus.

Update....
The noise is deffo coming from the front o/side wheel, i stopped the car, got out and the wheel was too hot to touch. It had new pads at the last service (about 3 months ago) so until i strip it down tomorrow im stuffed.
Maximus.

Found out the piston in the right hand caliper won't go back in. Will come out when brake is pressed but will not go back in. It's not a collapsed hose so must be corroded piston. On the lookout for new calipers.

maximus

Back