Rubbing Noise

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
Hi All

I got problems with my K11, it is making a strange rubbing noise. It can be heard on this film I have on youtube.

I thought wheel bearings so yesterday I went to the garage and they said yes it’s the drives front bearing worn. They offered a deal and changed both for very little more than just one, so I had it done. To my extreme annoyance when I picked it up and drove it no change!

So what the hell is it? Drive shaft? It seems to worsen on a left-hand turns at low speed and not change for road conditions, the tyres seem ok too. At speed less noise and at lower speeds not always there.

Cheers

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
Hard to tell with all the other noises that are going on, but did count possibly 2 micras you could of stolen front ends from haha

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
Just been back to the garage who did the bearings and they assure me its now just tyre noise from the rotational tyres and that the bearing noise is gone, umm I am not so sure.

Any one else heard of noise like a bearing from rotation tyres?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
is the noise propotional to the speed bob ?
the tyre roar is usually down to an aggressive tread pattern (m + s type) and worn wheel bearings are usually louder under load (ie, worse when cornering)

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
No not worse at speed really, mind you at 60-70 mph theres quite a lot of noise so may just be hidden. It seems worse when you turn left at low speed which makes me suspicious of the garage claims it is tyre noise. Its not like a roar but a rubbing noise.

I had jacked it up and tested each wheel a while ago and a little noise from the front drivers one, however since then both front bearings have been changed. The noise sounded like the brake pads rubbing but under braking its straight and so is the steering.

I was wondering if its something in the drive shaft area. something dry maybe. However after reading up on the symptoms of drive shaft issues it does not confirm to them.

Whatever it is its doing my head in :)

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Try finding a hill to roll down with car in neutral and engine switched off (make sure not to lock steering though). With less other noises happening you might be able to pinpoint it better.

Have you had rear wheel bearings checked.?

CMF_antos

» CMF Member
Coul od it possibly something to do with brake pads/rotors rubbing agaisnt each other? Or something possibly wedged in around that area? If new bearings have been fitted and greased etc.. i dare say that isnt anything to do with it as for rotational tyres to a certain extent sure they would make some noise but not enough to make a noise like described but if by chance you have dirctional tyres are they sll heading the right direction, the garage didnt put them on back to front?

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"Try finding a hill to roll down with car in neutral and engine switched off (make sure not to lock steering though). With less other noises happening you might be able to pinpoint it better.

Have you had rear wheel bearings checked.?

Good idea I will find a hill and do that when I go away because I live in one of the flattest parts of England and no hills for miles lol. I and the garage checked the rear bearings and the wheels spin freely and silently.

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
antos WROTE:

"Coul od it possibly something to do with brake pads/rotors rubbing agaisnt each other? Or something possibly wedged in around that area? If new bearings have been fitted and greased etc.. i dare say that isnt anything to do with it as for rotational tyres to a certain extent sure they would make some noise but not enough to make a noise like described but if by chance you have dirctional tyres are they sll heading the right direction, the garage didnt put them on back to front?

It could be a rubbing brake pad, it does have that kinda sound. Also when the wheel is jacked and spun there was a noise like that before the bearing was changed, I have not tried since. There is no effect on the brakes like a sticky caliber and they brake straight.

I will look at the tyre rotation later but I am pretty sure they are going the right way.

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
Today I bit the bullet and jacked it up, on spinning the road wheel I heard the rubbing noise just as it had been when the bearing had been diagnosed by crap fit. I took the wheel off and then the brake caliper, supported it and refitted the road wheel and spun it. Guess what silence :) I put it all back together and still silence, took it for a short run and tried again, the noise was back.

So its definitely rubbing brake pads causing it and by the sound pattern on/off on/off I would say its the warped brake disks causing it.

An easy and cheap fix should be, I will post when done.

CMF_Welshbob1964

» CMF Member
I have now changed the disk and pads, easy job. The rubbing noise when you turn is now gone but alas there is still a noise however it is constant. It seems that it must be tyre noise that is left, its annoying still but at least I know what it is. I also have great brakes now that its all new :)

Back