resonator pipe

ok i've done a quick search on this and its a pretty shady area. I'm after a K&N panel filter but im not sure whether to stick with the micra airbox or go with an almera box.
I've had a look at my dad's almera airbox and i can see its bigger etc. but there's no resonator pipe.
Surely a micra must have one for a reason, i've read on here that it is to reduce the noise, but some people say cutting the end off makes it louder, some don't, and some people say it makes it faster, some say it makes it slower fwn
Does anyone have some definitive information on whats best to do with it as ill be picking up a spare airbox from the scrappy to mess about with instead of cutting up the only one i have :p
Thanks

It's to reduce resonance/noise in the intake. If you have the standard box then you can remove it if you want, it'll be more noisy but thats about it.

I use a ga16 box with a k&n filter and a bigger pipe running to it. Pretty sure resonator pipes do nothing mate apart from noise.

ok thanks everyone, i think i'll just cut it off altogther and sort a better cold air feed to it. Never noticed anything under the airbox on my dad's almera, ill have a better look tomorow, might swap it over to see if i'll have any troubles with the carbon canister :)

I just had to adapt the bracket for the carbon canister (had a thread on it somewhere) then it fitted fine.

Sounds simple enough, i just want that extra bit at the top end as it seriously dies out when a certain (unspecified :p) speed is reached.

if you look at the standard cold air feed pipe going to your airbox its the thinner one that comes off it that ends up near the battery but has a blocked end, apparently nothing much happens if you cut it off fwn

i would think so as it's only going to suck in hot air, i'm going to put a 2nd cold air feed into it (one thats actually positioned near some air :p)

Back