Almera GA16 airbox fitted... sort of... breather pipe disconnected

SteveG

Intake n exhaust almost done, suspension next :)
Right, I got an airbox courtesy of nexussteve (thanks btw :D )

Managed to get the old intake pipe out (battery bracket looks like it would need a few hours penetrant lol) with some jiggling of the coolant tank.

Got the stock airbox off and fitted the GA16 airbox, connecting the small ~5mm rubber hose that connects on the bottom, and leaving the crankcase breather hose disconnected from the airbox. Box is slightly rotated to clear the carbon canister.

Couldn't really figure out how to weave the Almera intake duct into a space where it would fit into a space as-is, so I've just left it off for now.

So, couple of questions:

- Is it alright to run the car with the crankcase breather hose disconnected for a day? (about 1.5 hours of driving). I ordered a 14mm breather filter yesterday, so that's arriving tomorrow.

- Can the engine run ok with no intake duct until I can sort out some ducting or adapt the Almera snorkel?

IIRC frank has left his with no filter?

And my box doesn't have an intake pipe, only downside is a bit more noise and its taking in warmer air but a bit of extendable pipe or a cut down almera pipe works well, I just like more noise :p

You manage to move the carbon canister alright?

I was running over my hour lunch break and hadn't eaten yet, so didn't even attempt to shift it lol, should be ok to move though when I get some time. I played around with moving the fuel filter and bracket when I changed it out for a new one that was a different size, and that worked out ok. Most/all of the screws inside the engine bay aren't rusted tight.

Will have a look around for some suitable diameter ducting / pipe soon, but good to know it's ok without one for now :)

Another day, another lunch time in the car park, lol

I moved the carbon canister down until it was held by just the last few mm of the circular clamp bracket, and that let the Almera box sit pretty much horizontal.

The new box's mounting tab with the screw hole is resting on the crankcase breather hose. I'll probably cut the mounting tab off at some point.

What do people do with the Almera box's breather hole? Just leave it open, or plug it up somehow? Or do some people actually connect it up with a hose (similarly to the original airbox)?

Another day, another lunch time in the car park, lol

I moved the carbon canister down until it was held by just the last few mm of the circular clamp bracket, and that let the Almera box sit pretty much horizontal.

The new box's mounting tab with the screw hole is resting on the crankcase breather hose. I'll probably cut the mounting tab off at some point.

What do people do with the Almera box's breather hole? Just leave it open, or plug it up somehow? Or do some people actually connect it up with a hose (similarly to the original airbox)?
I plugged mine up with a bolt and some sealant

Back