resistor card

CMF_Carr0tman

» CMF Member
ive got a friend who is part exchanging their micra, my problem is that my heater blower stops working every so often, so i asked them if i could swap my resistor card for theirs to see if this could fix it, but the only thing is im not sure how to do this, could anyone help me please.

thanks

p.s. a picture would be helpful

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Underneath the dash up near the side vent on the left hand side of the car.

It is held in by 2 screws that you can undo using almost any phillips head screwdriver. Then you just unplug it and replace.

Hope this helps

Sean

CMF_cyp-k11

» CMF Member
The heater resistor card is near the blower fan with wires running to it. You do not need to remove the glovebox to get to it. While you are replacing the resistor card, pull the fan motor out, and lubricate the motor bearings. The lube used from the factory dries out after 6-8 years, and will cause the card to burn out from additional current needed to turn it.

If the card is burnt out on the 1st speed section, a dob of solder can be used to fix it. Again, make sure the fan motor isn't seized to start with.

Zack

CMF_squigbobble

» CMF Member
God, the inside of that fan motor is the dirtiest thing ever! Carbon dust and grease, blegh. At least it washes off easily. I can only see one bearing, is there just the one and how do I get lube into it? Will copper grease do or would oil of some sort work better?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Would like to know greasing material myself!

Key oil like the stuff used for musical instruments?

Graphite powder? Bleh.

I'm very careful with grease now. Last time I greased something it was the wrong grease haha

CMF_squigbobble

» CMF Member
Well there's no gap around the bearing for u to put grease in so I guess some kind of oil, I'm tempted to try 3in1 stuff. Upon inspection the motor seems to only have one bearing, the fact that a cap on the end of the plastic casing pops off to allow access to the bearing would support this. I s'pose u're just s'posed to take the blower off every now and again, pop the cap off and dribble a bit of oil onto the bearing. A damn sight cheaper than getting a new blower motor, which is what I was going to do.

Isn't the oil for musical instruments lanolin, some kind of wood preservative?

Back