Heater fan resistor card fix

Ok so just fixed my resistor card, this is how it went. Removed card and found rusty spot as suspected, the card is ceramic with pressed metal strips of which surface is painted with heat resistant paint. The card measured resistace from 0.4, 0.7 and 1.4 ohms (measured of course after fix so maybe not to accurate to new). I lightly sanded area to be soldered and rust spot was badly pitted. I applied some flux for soldering and found that the solder wasnt sticking, wierd fwn but i re-sanded and soldered to the bare metal first time without flux. Then came my next problem, and take note of this one! I removed the card on a cool/cold night and took indoors for repair, as soon as i started soldering about 10 seconds into it, the ceramic base started to shatter, hit me in the eye and took with it two of the smaller metal stripsgrr, thus turing one repair into three. So i highly reccommend SLOWLY warming the card up before soldering. I perceviered with the fix and rather than using a elongated blob of solder which unless your experienced is very difficult to do and can use a lot of solder in the proccess, i fixed a blob of solder to each end of the strip and soldered insulated wire to each blob. as for rust proofing I found the vasaline trick the most worthy but this card will get really hot and im not to sure if it will just melt off so will give it a week of use and get back to you on that one if it does then maybe some heat resistant paint i used on my rocker cover could do the trick. but other than that this fix definately works thanks to all...:grinning:

Alternatively u could just bridge the gap with conductive demister repair paint to avoid any soldering or heat cracking issues

Alternatively u could just bridge the gap with conductive demister repair paint to avoid any soldering or heat cracking issues

Well i've heard of conductive paint, I just never though it would cut the mustard for this job, the question is could I trust it in a situation where its put under alot of resistance? and is it cheap to buy? but it sounds like a very good alternative.(Y) by the way i love doing things the hard way!

Back