Replacing the sills?

Hello everyone! First off I am new here, and new to my little K11. Had it for about 2 months and I have fell in love with the little car! :grinning:

387680_2659918264093_1440000602_33004436_2049610126_n.jpg

However, the underside of the car is in need of a lot of work, got quoted £500 for the welding work that needs doing to get it through the MOT which is in May. :glare:

I was wondering, has anyone ever changed the bottom side of a K11 before, any problems with doing this and the sort of cost this involves? It would be nice to get some past experience with this rather than going through Google and hearing tales of the mist. :suspect:

Any info would help greatly, thanks!

I would shop around the smaller welding places in your area. I got both my sills welded up for a total of £80 when I lived in Wiltshire.
Photo082.jpg

As you can see it was a brilliant job, you'll find a lot of garage actually sub welding out to the smaller places that are dedicated welders.

Okay thanks, the main problem we're having is that we can't get the car up to do the work, as my old man is a welder! We just have no room to do the work at the moment. Annoying thing is as well it had the sills done before the last MOT, but they were heavily bodged so everything around that has corroded!

my car underneath is rotten quite badly, but my girlfriends dad has his own metal fabricating business so he let me do some and he did some himself (he did the tricky parts) but if you have the welder and the material which is not expensive (the material isnt expensive) it really should not cost much to weld a car at all, you are better shopping round just local metal fabricators like joe said because they will do it a lot lot cheaper than a mechanic would

Back