Advice appreciated: Rusted sills

Hi all,

Just had my '02 facelift MOTed. Rusted sills abound, rusted in the suspension area too. if that's not the same .. i'm a noob.

Garage (Wilco motorsave) quoted £450 for welding, and an additional £200 for a brake issue.

Unfortunately I don't have the kit or skills to do the work although I'm planning to learn, and also with a week until the current MOT expires, time is a factor, as I certainly need to remain on the road.

I'm shopping for quotes in the morning but I guess, I want to know if £450 of welding means the car is completely shot? I.e. if I pay for the repair, am I likely to get at least a couple more years out of the vehicle or just months? I ask only because I understand that it is this kind of rusting that is so commonly a failing of the micra but I guess I don't understand the implications of this kind of decay.

So! Is it a recoverable kind of thing (that part of the car will be as good as new after repairs), or is it a sure sign the car will decay considerably in the near future?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Bob, I'm sure some pictures of the rust would help determine just how far gone the car is. It really depends on what you want to do. A new sill is around £30, and I had been quoted £150 to put it on, although that was probably mates rates. £650 is a lot of money to go into repairing a Micra, and just think, £650 could buy you another one quite easily.

Thanks Max,

In truth, I've only just googled exactly what sills are exactly .. i'm that green when it comes to cars. I'll try and get some snaps in the morning.

I don't have the MOT fail certificate to hand but it read to the effect that inner and outer sills, front and rear offside were corroded, and the same again on the rear driver side. Can anyone comment on whether or not £450 is reasonable to replace all this? It seems it might be from what I've read elsewhere but I'm unsure. Would I be getting stiffed?

the inner sills would be patched bob, and £450 sounds excessive (unless they are really bad)
I wouldn't have thought that to be a factor, depending on how far the sill goes back, if they're chopping it out and replacing with a new one? Surely if it's that bad they wouldn't be repairing the old one ...
And bob don't worry, we all have to start somewhere. I'm just learning too. The "Hella useless" in my title isn't a joke :p

bob k sills always rust out at the rear on micras due to the sun roof drain tube its an inherant problem were are you located if your anywere near manchester i could get them welded up much much cheaper ive just had my 1300 s sills inners and shut off panel done takes 1/2 a day cost between 80/100 ££

Thanks all.

Shopped around and got the work underway now for about 50% of the intial quoted price. Apparently the corrosion wasn't half as bad as implied/infered, and it is only a patching job.

Hi 12h. I have friends and relatives in and near Manchester, so although i'm sorted now I could easily come accross for any future work. Where is it you recommend?
Also, are you saying the sunroof drain can be welded up too?? My model doesn't have a sunroof, so if the drain is just there serving no function i'd be happy to plug it if it saves the sills in the long run.

Happy new year, all.

Back