Removing Tail Lights

Hey everyone,

Today I attempted to fit my LED rear lights, however getting the old ones off looks like it may be more challenging than the exhaust change I just did. They appear to have been bonded on with Tiger Seal, which might as well be the same thing as welding considering how tight they are stuck on :mad:

I've done some research and I've noted suggestions like cutting it from the inside (although I tried this and it seems to re seal behind the knife!). I've yet to try heating it (although I only have a hairdryer and not a heat gun).

My other idea is to pour small quantities of autoglym tar remover down the back of the light and see if it dissolves the sealant enough to get it to break away. I've used this technique to remove stuck on number plates in the past and it seemed to work well. Anyone reckon it will work for this?

At the moment my car is kept in a garage about an hour and a half's drive away from me, so I can't just pop out to try something every time I get an idea, so I'm making a list of methods. Any alternative suggestions are more than welcome :)

Just heat them up from behind using a hairdryer. It will soften the sealant and you will be able to remove them. It takes about 15 mins of heating. You can reuse the sealant if you're careful too. Nissan use this method to remove them.

I guess I'll attempt this method first then, the lights are non-original however, so the seleant may differ from the one used from factory. Fingers crossed :)

i always lever them off from the outside, with a flat screwdriver against the backing (not the lense)

I tried that first Frank, but the lip on the chassis which the light bolts onto started to deform and bend outwards with it :confused: so I stopped and pushed the light back to realign the mounting..

I tried that first Frank, but the lip on the chassis which the light bolts onto started to deform and bend outwards with it :confused: so I stopped and pushed the light back to realign the mounting..
upper outer corner iirc mate, just slowly levered it :) and the black sealer stretched about 3 inches before it tore , then i rolled the sealer into a sausage and refitted

Back