Removing my speedo dash unit

paddymarsden

Iggy Iggy oooooooooo
I want to take it out to replace the black dials with white dials, my car is a K11 inspiration and has a digital milo-metre and i am worried it will reset itself if i unplug it.

Does anyone know what i mean ? if so could you help please.

Padstar

I think the millage is stored in the ecu (remeber reading it somewhere)....tho i could be completly wrong as i havent got a digital one, so have never investigated.

Someone will no doubt be able to help a little better :)

it is NOT stored on the ecu!!!! i have replaced my cluster with one with a rev counter and lost my mileage! (thankfully they were within 2,000 miles of each other anyway!)

basically the miles are stored in the cluster, even tho they are digital. by unplugging your cluster, you will not loose your mileage (must have a little internal battery or something??).

hmmmmm im a little unsure about doing it now lol i think i will consult my hayes manual to see if there is a battery or not, if there isnt ill just work on the unit while it is fixed in the car. not worked out where ill get the dials from, seen some on ebay but may make my own

if you unplug them you will diffenatly keep your mileage if your going to put the same cluster back in again. I unplugged my old cluster a few times when i wanted to see if the RPM signal was there, and it kept its mileage.

and when i ordered my new cluster with the rev counter from eBay, that had ~35,000 ish on the clock, and i bet that'd been in storage for a while!

so you will definatly keep your mileage if you unplug the cluster.

- also if you end up making your own, can u send the image file you create/use? thanks. :)

sure maty, thanks for that i think thats a job for this weekend ! first off all i need to work out the transparent sections of the cluster overlay like engine lights etc. I work mainly in photoshop so if i do my own ill mail the .PSD to ya..

ta dude !

i read it on the aussie forums, and was bit annoyed when i had lost my mileage from swapping the unit.. nevermind :)

Back