Removing ice in the mornings

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
It took about 20 minutes to get the ice off my windscreen this morning. Engine on, heaters on and scraping away. Can anyone recommend something a spray or a good scraper or just got any tips on doing it quicker!? Can you buy after market windscreen heaters? etc

It was a bloody hard frost this morning wasn't it! It took me 5 minutes to scrape a hole about 20cm so i could see out lol

i just use warm water (not Hot), alot of people condem such a thing but its never cracked a windscreen on any of the 7 cras ive done it too, i dont have time to waste in the morning scraping crap off and ill be damned if ill use de-icer on my car it ######s the paint.

pour on warm water get the wipers on job done!

i just use warm water (not Hot), alot of people condem such a thing but its never cracked a windscreen on any of the 7 cras ive done it too, i dont have time to waste in the morning scraping crap off and ill be damned if ill use de-icer on my car it ######s the paint.

Makes you think as all the old fords have heated front windscreens, pretty much the same, but not as quick i guess...

I couldn't this morning as i wasn't at home ;) ;) ;) but i'll bear that in mind too. It's a new windscreen so don't want to crack it

if a satnav can break it.. im sure warm water could.

thats directed specifcally at arnolds paper screen. Not you speedle.

it doesnt even have to be warm water, it just has to be warmer than the ice, (ie, still runny, lol)

cold water should clear the screen

When you get up, throw a load of table salt or similar over it, eat your breeakfast and when you get back it should be all soft and slushy, simple.

Craig

When you get up, throw a load of table salt or similar over it, eat your breeakfast and when you get back it should be all soft and slushy, simple.

Craig

And then the salt starts to creep its way around the window and start to eat away at your car :D

Naaa, it'll be sold long before then...

Hehe good suggestion too, thanks! :) & yeah windscreen is a bit lame to just crack from a sat nav but i'm hoping the new one won't do that! I don't take the suction mount off just incase

i pour warm water over my windscreen and other windows too and no problem encountered with 4 cars so far.

Fast, cheap and chemical free! :)

I have concentrate in my screenwash bottle, good for down to minus 5, just spray it on and you're defrosted in seconds

i disagree with all lol, if you use warm water it means you have to back into the house to put the kettle or whatever it is back in or even to get more warm warm water, with an old cover or sheet you just pull it off chuck it in the back seat and away lol ( im lazy ) :)

If you don't want to go into the house for a cup of warm water, just save up a decent p1ss. Why not help out your neighbour while your at it?

My mum has a heated front windscreen in her mondeo. S'well good.

All the people suggesting bed sheets and window guards, what if you don't know it's gonna snow?

I turn the car on, with the heating up full, and on recycle, stick the rear dimister on. Scrap the fron windows, and the rear 1/4's, and by the time you get to the back, bam, it's mush.

if you make sure the windscreen is cleaned with a good window cleaner / polish when you wash the car normally, it stops the ice getting such a good hold to the glass...well at least thats how its always worked with mine.

Put the heaters on full, on recycle, then sit back and have a cup of tea and a fag while your car does the hard work! Thats if the frost hasnt frozen the lock and door shut too :glare:

Thats if the frost hasnt frozen the lock and door shut too :glare:

That just reminded me the door was frozen shut! Really pulling on it and thought the handle was going to snap off, Had to stick my hand above the door frame and really yank it lol

Well on an important note about this subject... I would NEVER turn my engine on and stand outside my car scraping away. The number of car thefts as a result of this is astonishing, and people have been run over while scraping their own windscreen as someone drives off in their car.

If you turn it on its doing nothing really, the heaters are hardly warm by the time you've finished scraping it off yourself and even then it takes a while for the heat to penetrate the window.

Also i wouldnt recommend leaving your suction cup on the windscreen arnold, it basically tells thieves you own a satnav and they'll smash your window just to see if you keep it in the car, wether you do or not.

When you live in a quiet cul de sac its not really too bad tho, people have to come a fair distance up my drive to get anywhere near my car, and when im stood right next to it theyve got no chance, not without a cup of tea to the face and a steel toecap boot to the knackers anyway!

And i disagree about the heaters not doin much, by the time ive finished my fag all the ice has gone apart from some left in the sunstrip area, theyre actually pretty damn efficient, the only thing that I worry about is how my fuel consumption is gona go up with it jus idling away.

Oh and Arnold, I actually did break my door handle tryin to pull the door open, had to get in the passenger side and kick the door open lol!

I use standard asda de icer. Works instantly.

I used to use warm water but the walk from the car to my house is too long lol as I don't live on street its a "close".

lol it must be really bad were you live as I can leave my car unlocked overnight and it everything will be there in the morning. It's only micra no ones cares about them. I gues joy riders wouldn't mind though.

Well on an important note about this subject... I would NEVER turn my engine on and stand outside my car scraping away. The number of car thefts as a result of this is astonishing, and people have been run over while scraping their own windscreen as someone drives off in their car.
Thats why I have remote central locking, start the car, then click it shut!

If you turn it on its doing nothing really, the heaters are hardly warm by the time you've finished scraping it off yourself and even then it takes a while for the heat to penetrate the window.
Less wear on the engine as the most wear is when the engine is cold so idle is best for it.

Also i wouldnt recommend leaving your suction cup on the windscreen arnold, it basically tells thieves you own a satnav and they'll smash your window just to see if you keep it in the car, wether you do or not.

Yeah i've heard that before too, but 5 years later and no break ins yet :) I've even left the car unlocked before in a public car park and it didn't get touched lol

i leave my car outside my house with the keys in it oiver night everynight any one including use could come and take it :) but then i stay in a minishant theres 10 houses in my part of the village, i have a nosey neighbour to the right of me and a married couple who are both police to the left :D

Dont get me wrong, i can leave my car doors unlocked and its fine, not many people do try it on, but for the sake of 2 minutes scraping the risk is too much. Way things have been going with thefts recently I think its better to play it safe. But i supose for you guys who have driveways or live in enclosed areas its not so bad. I live on an end terrance with loads of terrances nearby populated by polish (who dont cause any trouble to be fair) and druggies (who do) lol.

As long as i've got my point accross though, i just want you guys to be careful. Hear too much about people being run over by their own cars and would hate for it to happen to someoen on here :)

Since i leave work at 6AM it'd be a pretty early rising opertunist to get me! :)

Lol, unless you have a really nice car worth the risk of stealing you don't have to worry too much, micras are hardly on the criminal steal-to-order most wanted list

Lol, unless you have a really nice car worth the risk of stealing you don't have to worry too much, micras are hardly on the criminal steal-to-order most wanted list

The micras old news mate, i've got a car worth stealing now! :)

Edit: Not that all the micras on here aren't :)

Back