VXR Driver of the year competition

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
There were a couple of people on here who successfully got into the Semi finals of the VXR driver of the year competition, so wouldn't mind hearing how they got on.

Yesterday I took my place on the grid for this years competition. I thought the registration was at 4, so nearly died when i realised it was at 3. Luckily there was no traffic on the motorways and I just about made it in time. I filled out the paperwork when i got there and was gutted when i realised i didn't have my driving licence or passport!, but luckily they let me race anyway!

From looking at previous fastest times on the day, there were a few karts which stood out to be quicker than the others. I ended up in a kart which liked bouncing around when you threw it into bends but still pulled off a good enough time of 22.7 to get a provisional 9th place slot in the day's final event. There were a few qualifying sessions after mine though, and was gradually knocked down the leader board to 11th, then 12th, then out the competition. The fastest time was 22.0, so not much in it, and 0.1 second between myself and a qualifying position! Very gutted.

Was an awesome day though, completely free, with food, drink & Sparco race suits etc all provided by VXR. I highly recommend you all try and enter next year, even if it's just for the experience & totally free day out.

Only took a few photos

Thats unheard of isn't it :p fwn

Sounds like fun, my mate races carts that do about 80. And he went to see supercarts the otherday, top speed 150mph and averaged 100mph round castle combe track.....all about an inch off the ground :glance:

Now that does sound awesome! I only race at corporate events, but would love to get into it! I just love racing :D

& yeah didn't take many because I went on my own, and my camera phone is really screwed up! Everyone said they'd come and watch if I got through to the grand final, nice of them!! lol. Anyway, i met a whole bunch of people, and spoke to the VXR staff a bit, so that was all fun.

n538478581_1402404_179.jpg

n538478581_1402406_876.jpg

n538478581_1402407_1218.jpg

n538478581_1402410_2314.jpg

n538478581_1402411_2686.jpg

n538478581_1402413_3438.jpg

n538478581_1402415_4178.jpg

n538478581_1402414_3807.jpg

n538478581_1402416_4564.jpg

I didn't get through either. Had great fun trying though. I was on at 2:30, for the 3:30 grand prix. Must have just missed you, I was at the kids go karts with my nephew until 3:45. There were a couple of corners I couldn't get right, i.e the two before the long right hander to the straight. I should have had a practice run in advance really. The bridge was great fun! flat out from the sin bin to the sharp right after the bridge made the whole day worth while. Pure buzz :) Might sound like looser talk, but I was releaved when I didnt qualify. My arms where numb after the 15mins. Had to ask my sister to open my can of coke haha. There were some really good drivers there.

Do you know what lap times you got? Your not wrong about coming off the bridge, that was alot of fun! If you ever plan to go back there for a race, let me know and i'l meet ya :)

No I dont. I would guess mid 23's. I was slow through the chicane sp? Def up for a race sometime. How about a msc grand prix>?

just noticed the 3 3's and 3 6's in the top 8. looks a little suspect.

Yeah they were definitly the fastest karts. I went on Friday for a practice and i recall those two being the fastest then. It's just luck really what one you get, and how well others are driving on the day. Lots of yellows and red lights in some of the races i watched.

I've tried to organise karting on the MSC but despite interest, it didnt really go anywhere. Would be up for doing a MSC event though.

count me in for a carting day, have you been to that outdoor track out north east of brighton (i think its called feltching)?, great place but maybe somewhere more north would suit more people.

My mate has been there and he said it was good. I'm going to go there with him and some mates and check it out! I still think Thruxton is worth doing (outdoor), or even go to F1K as it's very easy to get to for everyone. There's also lots of team sport tracks all over the south

Back