Removing air-con/remounting alternator to fit 4-1 manifold - HELP!!!!!

Daniel

I WILL be back...
Right, I tried fitting my 4-1 manifold today, only to find that there isn't enough of a gap for it to be mounted behind the alternator grr.

My plan is to remove everything to do with the air-con - pipes, brackets, fan, pump, radiator, everything (hopefully saving a lot of weight and making some extra money by selling it in the process (Y)).

Now as I understand it, when I remove the air-con pump, I can remount the alternator where the air-con pump was originally located, thus giving me enough space to mount the new manifold, without taking too much apart :grinning:. Maybe just dropping the anti-roll bar an inch, removing the front engine mount, and dropping the radiator out.

If I do this, is there any way I can use the standard alternator bracket when I remount it lower down, or will I need a bracket from a prefacelift model without air-con :suspect:? Also, which belts will I need to remove/replace, and can I use any of these parts off another pre-facelift?

I'm not really worried about losing my air-con, as I hardly use it, I just really want to fit my manifold, and would really appreciate some help in sorting it out :laugh:! Any pictures would be appreciated as well, if anyone has any (Y). And if anyone has a spare belt and mounting bracket that will fit, I will pretty much love you forever :grinning:

As i said, de gas the system first. Dont want any un necessary explosions and headless Dans running about. (joking dude)

As i said, de gas the system first. Dont want any un necessary explosions and headless Dans running about. (joking dude)

I hope so :laugh:. What's the easiest way to de-gas the system, and how do I go about doing it?

Pull the wee blue cap off the pipe and stick your key in and press on the wee "nipple" and it will all come spraying out. Wear gloves....

I wish there was an easier way to word that.

Nipple, spraying out, stick your key in :laugh:! Seems as though the car modifying world is a minefield of inuendos and double entendres. Which blue cap though, because I thought there's 2, 1 on each pipe? And is it fairly easy to remove it all?

Haha and both dude. Although go for the bigger one first then once thats done move on and the presure will be alot lower.

Ive never done it on a Micra before but we did it on the Almeras weve done engine conversions for. It was pretty simple.

Degas system,
undo the pipes at the firewall end (like a 22mm and 17mm nut),
remove aircon radiator (dont mix this up with the actual radiator.)
remove all canisters assocatied with the aircon radiator.
loosen belt and remove.
unbolt compressor/condenser from bracket and remove
Unbolt heavy bracket from engine block ( and i mean heavy...) and remove.

Move your alternator blah blah blah (never done it so cant comment but)

belts.jpg

You can see what it will look like and see how you want to adjust it.

Then you need a belt that will fit. I suggest running a bit of string around the required pullys and then taking it a motor factors to find a belt that suits your length. A 6 rib belt i think.

Then if you choose too, remove all the A/C related stuff from behind the dashboard, electrics etc.

Its not rocket science bud.

I know it's not rocket science, but I've never done it before :laugh:. And I don't have power steering, so I guess that'll make it easier as well. This is sounding like the sort of thing I can do in a day with an early start and a few energy drinks. Just need to get the missus to drive me up to Motorserv for a belt :grinning:

belts1.jpg

Yeah it could be in done in a day i suppose. It would be alot easier with the bumper off aswell.

I was going to try take the front bumper off. But looking at that photo, I can't see how the belt is going to reach the second idler pulley once I've moved the alternator down. And I'm kind of hoping I can use the original alternator mounting bracket as well

Remove that idler pulley it runs from crank to alternator thats all as the alternator is adjustable for the slack! I have the mountings and a belt that you need

Remove that idler pulley it runs from crank to alternator thats all as the alternator is adjustable for the slack! I have the mountings and a belt that you need

So are you basically saying that I don't need that idler pulley, then? And how much do you want for that? (Y)

Back