Removing air con?

Ok so many of you know by now the 1.3 will soon end up in a classic mini and I want to do a bit of prep to make the whole swap over a bit easier.
So, can I remove the entire air con system from the micra and still have the heater working / car be drivable?
The air con doesnt work anymore as a prev owner put a hole in the radiator and all the gas has escaped - Its just wasted weight and space!

Any advice would be great - Happy to pass on any useable parts to users on here once its out :)

can i still leave the compressor on without all the piping etc? All i can see when i open the bonnet is a load of pipes and the big rad haha :)

Or just leave it until you do the change? I can't really see the point of messing about with it now whilst you still need the car.

I want to get as much prep done before the change - Hopefully leaving the car off the road for as little time as possible :) Id rather spend a day removing it all with the micra on the road than delay having the engine put into the mini

I want to get as much prep done before the change - Hopefully leaving the car off the road for as little time as possible :) Id rather spend a day removing it all with the micra on the road than delay having the engine put into the mini

That's all very well, but when you put the engine in the Mini you'll have to change the alternator position again along with removing the power-steering pump. Still seems pointless at this stage.

This is what i mean, Im only going to remove parts of the aircon that require no other modifications to the micra - I wont be moving the alternator. If i can remove the dented rad and a few of the pipes without fussing with the car working or not then il do it. Purely to reduce on work required on the day. The mini is being prepped at the moment so im doing everything i can to get ready for the change.
If someone told me that id have to remove the engine to get the aircon out then i would leave it, Just planning ahead on the whole subject whilst I can :)
Anything that needs drastically changing - such as alternator moving and steering pump removal will be left until the big day.

Hope this makes sense!

you can gain a bit of space by removing the waterpump idler too niki, or maybe run the alternator and waterpump from the 1 crank pulley ?

51126.jpg

I looked at my car today, it looks possible to remove the air conditioning pump and leave the alternator high up, with a shorter belt, I had thought it might not be possible, the tensioner looks a bit of a mission to get at though.

I looked at my car today, it looks possible to remove the air conditioning pump and leave the alternator high up, with a shorter belt, I had thought it might not be possible, the tensioner looks a bit of a mission to get at though.
I'd love to remove all that air con crap as well, been thinking about it for a while. Think I'll end up paying some-one to do it, easier I think.

I'd love to remove all that air con crap as well, been thinking about it for a while. Think I'll end up paying some-one to do it, easier I think.

I know what you mean, I've been carrying it all round on car for a few years now, it's never worked whilst I've had the car, I suppose if I commuted in the hot south it may be of benefit to me.

I know what you mean, I've been carrying it all round on car for a few years now, it's never worked whilst I've had the car, I suppose if I commuted in the hot south it may be of benefit to me.
Well its certainly still hot down here, T-shirt and shorts weather still, windows open all night, and so on. My air-con works, but have never turned it on - just open the windows will do for me.

Well its certainly still hot down here, T-shirt and shorts weather still, windows open all night, and so on. My air-con works, but have never turned it on - just open the windows will do for me.
Somebody that uses free "cold air" instead of man made cold air. Good on you ;)

Back