Unusual Air-con Problem

Hi all,

Slowly working through the niggly faults on a K11 I bought the other half. Runs nicely now so it's into the less important faults. Or in this case very important given the weather!

The K11 in question is a very late (52 plate) 1.0 with factory air-con. The air-con system has gas, and has pressure. When you press the air-con button on the dash, it lights up, the extra fan comes on and the compressor clutch engages - you can feel it and hear it engage.

So, it looks like everything is working properly. Except it doesn't get cold! The fans work well so I don't think the air intake path is blocked, the fan works at all speeds so the resistor card is OK. The footwell doesn't fill with water so i guess the drain isn't blocked.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm going to strip the heater matrix / heat exchanger and see if I can see anything obvious but if no one has any other suggestions it's going to go to a car air-con place, which will cost me as much as the car did!

Probably should mention, when I got it the system had no gas, and I regassed it. It seems to have maintained pressure since (a few months) so I guess it had leaked out through lack of use.

Hi toxo, I know you said your A/C system is holding pressure but when it was empty it would have been wise to replace all the o rings ( fairly easy to do as they are all in the engine bay, non inside the dash ) also when re gassing the system a certain amount of oil is also poured in to lubricate the compressor.
I retro fitted A/C to my LX then had it re gassed professionally ( only cost $130au ) and as part of the service I went back a couple of weeks later and they did a uv light check for leaks.

Back